iWeb upload button?

Reaction score
Is there a way iWeb will let me provide my web site visitors with a button to let them upload a file to my server?

C

chas_m

Yes and no.

YES, you could provide a button that will let them upload files *somewhere.* But unless you have full control of the server on which you are hosting your web site (pretty unlikely), then NO they can't upload files to your server.

So this problem is tackled in two parts:
1. Setting up an "uploadable" space somewhere (FTP server, email, Rapidshare et al, MobileMe iDisk Public Folder, etc)
2. Creating a bit of HTML or Javascript that results in a button that initiates the upload procedure.

In short, this is really not something an iWeb site is cut out for, though that doesn't mean its impossible. Still, you may want to investigate something like Wordpress that makes this procedure a lot easier.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes and no.

YES, you could provide a button that will let them upload files *somewhere.* But unless you have full control of the server on which you are hosting your web site (pretty unlikely), then NO they can't upload files to your server.

So this problem is tackled in two parts:
1. Setting up an "uploadable" space somewhere (FTP server, email, Rapidshare et al, MobileMe iDisk Public Folder, etc)
2. Creating a bit of HTML or Javascript that results in a button that initiates the upload procedure.

In short, this is really not something an iWeb site is cut out for, though that doesn't mean its impossible. Still, you may want to investigate something like Wordpress that makes this procedure a lot easier.

I do have a dedicated server so the "where" is not an issue.

I'm finding that adding custom code to something built in iWeb is not working too well. iWeb doesn't keep track of that code so you have to put it back in manually every time you update your site. Sort of defeats the purpose of iWeb.

Thanks for the recommendation on Wordpress, I'll definitely give it a look.

C

chas_m

Are you adding the custom code using the "HTML snippet" box? If so, it should persist between revisions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you adding the custom code using the "HTML snippet" box? If so, it should persist between revisions.
I was not. It is actually php code so I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.