Vista Help!--Lost 70GB on my C: Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Trying to find 70GB on my wife's Vista PC. If I right click the C: drive and check the properties, it shows approx 120GB of the drive in use. This seems excessive. I was expecting something closer to 50GB in use. There's not much installed on the machine. The Recycle Bin is empty. I went through all the major folders on the HD and can't find what's taking up the space.

I downloaded Glary Utilities (Glary Utilities - Free Utilities to Clean Registry, Fix PC Errors, Clean Privacy) which analyzes your drive and lists all the folders and files by size. It also shows properties similar to what Vista shows in it's Properties window. According to Glary, my C: drive only has 51GB in use. It breaks down to:

18GB in the User Folder.
17GB in the Windows Folder.
8GB in Program Files.
7GB of hidden system files.
And all the other files combined only total about 1GB.

Any ideas where the other 70GB is hiding?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
In Wonderland?

A lot of modern PCs have hidden "restore" partitions that take up Heaven knows how much space! I'm betting that's what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
System restore and previous versions I'd guess...

Click start, type in 'disk cleanup' then click the second tab (more options, IIRC). Now delete the restore points (bottom button, IIRC) - it will keep the most recent version intact though.

Seen this in many, many Vista installs.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
System restore and previous versions I'd guess...

Click start, type in 'disk cleanup' then click the second tab (more options, IIRC). Now delete the restore points (bottom button, IIRC) - it will keep the most recent version intact though.

Seen this in many, many Vista installs.

That was it! I had tried the Disk Cleanup, but not seen the More Options tab and cleared the Restore Points.

+1 Rep

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.