Airport problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
We have a new I mac (January) since then it has had cd/dv drive replace and a airport card. It is located in the same place the old I mac was located and no other changes. Now using both Safari and Firefox it has the same problems. It will lose internet connections on a fairly regular basis, the one I am using(the old Imac) does not. Now, sometimes it says, I have lost connection, and I click back a screen or two and it is still connected????? Many times it has entirely lost connection. I do realize that the provider falls apart (DSL) but that has only happened on rare occasions.
I am hearing impaired, so talking on the phone is a problem for me, so before I subject my self to a long strenuous chat on the phone does anyone have some advice on my potential problem?????

TIA
PS the Apple store is 1.5 hours away from me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How does the problematic iMac connect to the Internet? Is it through a wireless (Airport) or wired (Ethernet) connection?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How does the problematic iMac connect to the Internet? Is it through a wireless (Airport) or wired (Ethernet) connection?

Sorry, I though when I highlighted airport card, people would assume I was using a wireless connection not a hard wired connection.

Yes, Wireless 2wire dsl modem

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I though when I highlighted airport card, people would assume I was using a wireless connection not a hard wired connection.

Yes, Wireless 2wire dsl modem

OK, just wanted to be clear. Most likely this is an interference issue. Anything that operates on radio frequency can interfere. Check for baby monitors, cordless phone bases and Microwave ovens anywhere in the vicinity between the router and the problematic iMac.

Additionally, it's possible that one of your neighbors' wireless routers can be infringing upon your home. You might want to try adjusting the wireless channel that your router uses. If the router was provided by your telephone company, check with them on how to access its configuration web page or consult the documentation that came with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I found that if you take the channel selection off of automatic and select 1,6 or 11 since
these do not overlap it works better also if you download a free program such as iStumbler 99 for SL and 98 for everything else it will show who around you is on what
channel and the signal strength and noise select the one with the least traffic and noise.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, but when, like I said, the original I mac g5 was in the exact location, it had no problems connecting and staying connected to the modem.

I have now have 4 hard drives and drive daisy chained to the the fw port one more than on the Older Imac for the TM could the extra drive cause the problem????????

Also could it be some what of a software problem, or setup problem. On many occasions Using Safari or FF it will be connected, and a few pages inside of a e-mail with a link or a home page with links, it will say, not connected and click back a page or two and it will still be connected???????

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, but when, like I said, the original I mac g5 was in the exact location, it had no problems connecting and staying connected to the modem.

I have now have 4 hard drives and drive daisy chained to the the fw port one more than on the Older Imac for the TM could the extra drive cause the problem????????

Doubtful, but what you could do is just disconnect them as an experiment and shut them down and see if the problem persists. It is possible for some electronics to bleed RF, but I'd say it's unlikely to bleed in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

Also could it be some what of a software problem, or setup problem. On many occasions Using Safari or FF it will be connected, and a few pages inside of a e-mail with a link or a home page with links, it will say, not connected and click back a page or two and it will still be connected???????

That is odd, especially with the two machines being in such close vicinity and getting very different results. It might help us isolate the problem if you can turn the AirPort card off altogether, then connect the iMac directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. If you still have connectivity issues, chances are it's software related.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anyway to check a dsl modem to see if it is failing, mine is at least 3 years old. I just looked at a web site, to look for dsl modems and many people replacing 2wire dsl modems. Many said they were on there 2nd or third 2 wire modem.

The 2 wire modem is use by many dsl providers like ATT, Embarq as their original issue when we sign up for the service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.