Creating a leaner 10? Ext and CPs?

L

lokerd

Hello. As I forge into using 10 on the server and other computers, including a laptop due to arrive in a few days, is there anyway to trim down all of the special effects that slow the computer down?

I was one to ALWAYS turn off menu blinking. I dislike the fades, genies, etc. I did get the genie off...but still have to deal with scale, and other fades.

1) Is there anyway to turn off the gui customizations, etc?

2) Is there anyway to limit what options system resources boot like in pre-10 systems wtih extensions and CPs?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
hmm, cocktail, might help you out with that stuff.

OP
J

jcromartie

The graphical bells and whistles shouldn't be much of an issue for system performance. 10.2 and later uses your OpenGL enabled video card to accellerate the entire window server. Unless your server is a ghetto blue and white, or heck, maybe a 333MHz iMac, you shouldn't worry.

OP
L

lokerd

jcromartie said:
The graphical bells and whistles shouldn't be much of an issue for system performance. 10.2 and later uses your OpenGL enabled video card to accellerate the entire window server. Unless your server is a ghetto blue and white, or heck, maybe a 333MHz iMac, you shouldn't worry.

Gee thanks! That is exactly what I have. The Blue and White G3 Server. Is there anything that can be done to boost performace? I have 5 eMacs 800mhz. Can any of them be used to install the server software on?

I have a total of 25 mac computers. 15 iMacs, 5 eMacs, the G3 server, and 3 older Mac computers. I also have a PB coming in next week a couple of PCs hooked up. We are accessing the school network, but would like to set up the web server so the students go through the G3 server so I can control who and where they can go by user, if that is possible.

So, would it be possible to take one of the eMacs and make it the server? in otherwords, take the OS 10.2.3 server that installed and swap it for the drive inside the eMac?

Thanks for the feedback!
Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.