PDA

View Full Version : garage band help

reddavis999
05-28-2005, 08:11 AM
when i turn 'monitor' on in garage band, there a delay from me playing to it coming out of the speakers, is this normal, and is there anyway to turn it off?

Avalon
05-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Monitoring is very hardware demanding...

Which Mac specs do you have, and what do you use as audio hardware?

livatlantis
05-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Seems like lack of memory. The same happens on my Mac mini with 256MB of RAM. I'm upgrading to 512 in a month. How much do you have?

reddavis999
05-28-2005, 11:26 AM
256mb, getting 1gb soon, just need some money.

livatlantis
05-28-2005, 11:37 AM
That upgrade should definitely take care of the problem (well... if you have a LOT of tracks with a LOT of effects playing while monitoring... and rendering a 3D image in the background, it might return lol).

Curious, how do you input audio? I'm assuming you plug in your guitar; if so, does it create a lot of hiss when you try "Rock Arena" or "Glam"? :o

diim
05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
The exact thing happend to me when I had my iBook, ram took care of it.

That upgrade should definitely take care of the problem (well... if you have a LOT of tracks with a LOT of effects playing while monitoring... and rendering a 3D image in the background, it might return lol).

Curious, how do you input audio? I'm assuming you plug in your guitar; if so, does it create a lot of hiss when you try "Rock Arena" or "Glam"? :o

livatlantis
05-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Glad to hear that my upgrading to 512MB soon will improve GB performance ;)

reddavis999
05-28-2005, 02:15 PM

yer quite a bit, im now gonna buy a half decent mic, and put it infront of my amp, think that will be the best way. But if anyone knows how to get rid of the hissing, please share

iLEFTOVERCRACK
05-28-2005, 09:05 PM
haha has anyone ever tried having a conversation with some one while having montor and headphones on........haha its sooooo fun lol
but you have to have a filter on like female vocals ons or its not as "trippy" :batman:

livatlantis
05-29-2005, 12:18 AM
lol! No, with 256MB of RAM, I'd best save that stunt for later ;) lol

reddavis999, I'm getting the hissings back - they weren't there before. Still searching for a way to get rid of them. You could enable "Gate:" (Noise gate) and increase the slider value until the hissing is gone. Of course, you'll notice a difference in your sustain (especially while playing solos). For guitar input, I just use a clean guitar through a Griffin iMic - the results aren't bad (I can give you an example I've posted online, if you want).

reddavis999
05-29-2005, 06:52 AM
yer please, im using a imic aswell, i used the clean setting with flanger effect to do part or the track which didnt sound bad, just that the rest of the track is in distortion