PDA

View Full Version : Microphone not working, please help.

Erudite.Warrior
05-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Today I purchased an Altec Lansing AHS502i. It is a combination headset with a boom mic. The headset has two 3.5mm jacks (one for headset, the other for the mic). I plugged them in, opened up garage band and the computer would not register any sound coming through the microphone.

I double chedked to make sure I had updated the input settings in Preferences>Sound>Input>Line-In. They were correct.

To isolate the problem I plugged them into my PC (Sony Vaio) and it registered fine. I was able to record using Sound Recorder.

I searched the forums and did not find anything. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

My System:
1.67Ghz PowerBook G4 (15")
1GB RAM
100 GB HD
MAC OS X 10.4.1 (Tiger)

I'm also a recent switcher so if I am missing something that would be obvious to a seasoned Mac user, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Macman
05-27-2005, 01:06 AM
in g band prefs, where it says audio/midi, make sure it says audio input, if your mic is a midi device, select it, if not, close prefs and create a new track by clicking the new track button>real instrument>vocals>no effect or whatever you want, choose setting :stereo, etc, click ok, you should be able to record into that track.

Erudite.Warrior
05-27-2005, 01:20 AM
in g band prefs, where it says audio/midi, make sure it says audio input, if your mic is a midi device, select it, if not, close prefs and create a new track by clicking the new track button>real instrument>vocals>no effect or whatever you want, choose setting :stereo, etc, click ok, you should be able to record into that track.

Garageband only has one option: Built-in Audio.

Created the new track. Headphones are connected (and mic). Checked Monitor: on so I could hear therough the headphones.

In this state nothing could be heard through the headphones. When I went to system preferences and changed the input setting from Line-in to Internal mic, I could hear the ambient noise in the headphones. Is there another setting that I am missing that would disable the line-in port?

The mic will also not register for voice input either (voice commands). Internal microphone will but the line-in will not.

Any other suggestions?

BTW, thanks for your quick response earlier.

Macman
05-27-2005, 02:41 AM
hmm, are the headphones required? could you try just the mic? or does the mic only work through the headphones?

D3v1L80Y
05-27-2005, 03:53 AM
You also want to check the input level volume to make sure that it is set high enough. Check this not only in GarageBand, but check your System Prefs as well. It is also important to make sure you are selecting the correct "Real Instrument" track for the mic. It should be set to Vocals, not guitar or something like that. Also make sure that you have enabled recording for the track. This is the first button you see in the track itself, were you see the 'mute', 'solo', 'lock' ,etc.
Finally, if you are still not hearing any sound, solo out the new track and try clicking the Play button in GarageBand. Not the Record, but just the Play. Then try talking into the mic and see if it is registering.
Hope this helps. :headphone

Erudite.Warrior
05-27-2005, 03:54 AM
hmm, are the headphones required? could you try just the mic? or does the mic only work through the headphones?

No joy. Mic alone does not work. I plugged in only the mic and it still did not pick up any sound.

Any other ideas?

Erudite.Warrior
05-27-2005, 06:33 PM
You also want to check the input level volume to make sure that it is set high enough. Check this not only in GarageBand, but check your System Prefs as well. It is also important to make sure you are selecting the correct "Real Instrument" track for the mic. It should be set to Vocals, not guitar or something like that. Also make sure that you have enabled recording for the track. This is the first button you see in the track itself, were you see the 'mute', 'solo', 'lock' ,etc.
Finally, if you are still not hearing any sound, solo out the new track and try clicking the Play button in GarageBand. Not the Record, but just the Play. Then try talking into the mic and see if it is registering.
Hope this helps. :headphone

Theanks for the response D3v1L80Y. Volume input levels are at max. in both garage band and in system preferences. The track I have selected is a "Real Instrument" Vocals>No Effects. I also tried Vocals>Male Basic.

I also solo'd the track, recording was on and is NOT locked. Playing also did not work.

When I switch (in system preferences) to Internal Microphone, I can monitor in the headset. As soon as I switch to line-in, it is like it is Muted. I double checked to make sure no mute was selected on my headset. Still no response.

This is really odd because it works pefectly on my PC. Sounds great, even in Sound Recorder. So I know it is not the mic, it is definitely the Mac.

Is there anyway I can check the acual Microphone Line-in port? I think this might be the problem. I don't have another microphone to plug-in.

Erudite.Warrior
05-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I found my answer on the apple support page. Apparently the line-in jack on the powerbook will not support UNPOWERED microphones. I'll have to purchase an iMic.

PowerBook G4 audio line in port requires a powered signal
The PowerBook G4 audio line in port takes signals from audio equipment, including line-level devices such as amplified or self-powered microphones, and is specifically designed for high-level audio signal such as the signal from a powered microphone.

If you use a nonpowered microphone with the audio line in port, it will result in a very low volume signal, or possibly no signal at all.

Third-party options, such as Griffin Technology's iMic, allow the use of many mic-level sound input devices with your computer.

MAC-simus
05-29-2005, 08:04 PM
I found my answer on the apple support page. Apparently the line-in jack on the powerbook will not support UNPOWERED microphones. I'll have to purchase an iMic.

PowerBook G4 audio line in port requires a powered signal
The PowerBook G4 audio line in port takes signals from audio equipment, including line-level devices such as amplified or self-powered microphones, and is specifically designed for high-level audio signal such as the signal from a powered microphone.

If you use a nonpowered microphone with the audio line in port, it will result in a very low volume signal, or possibly no signal at all.

Third-party options, such as Griffin Technology's iMic, allow the use of many mic-level sound input devices with your computer.

it has been discussed here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18009