• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Legal clarification regarding software....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I found a Macbook for sale on CL. If any of you with any legal expertise on Software piracy can confirm or deny whether or not this is legit, Please let me know. I contacted this seller about his Macbook and also wanted to know if the CS4 installed came with the original disk'? He said no,But that it was legal anyway to sell it. I was under the impression it was considered piracy?

Here a link to ad on CL.

FINAL DAY!!! Apple MacBook 2.16 ghz/ 2g RAM/ 120gb HD

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the seller keeps the discs and reinstalls to another system, then the copy on the Mac he sold would be considered a pirated copy.

There would be a good chance after he installs and activates it, the first time you went to update your copy, Adobe would de-activate it. This is why, it's worth nothing in the bargaining phase without the discs.

We have at least 2 sellers using CL here in Dallas, that purchase new Macs, install CS4, Windows, Office and a few other apps, charge a mark-up for the software, provide no discs to the buyer and do it over and over again. Yes, this is piracy.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If the seller keeps the discs and reinstalls to another system, then the copy on the Mac he sold would be considered a pirated copy.

There would be a good chance after he installs and activates it, the first time you went to update your copy, Adobe would de-activate it. This is why, it's worth nothing in the bargaining phase without the discs.

We have at least 2 sellers using CL here in Dallas, that purchase new Macs, install CS4, Windows, Office and a few other apps, charge a mark-up for the software, provide no discs to the buyer and do it over and over again. Yes, this is piracy.

Bob

that's what I thought, I always wipe my Macs, Whenever I buy or sell them. I contacted the seller he claimed he had a business license and that he could install the software on multiple computers. Don't get me wrong I would love the CS4 but I want the originals to make it legal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I found a Macbook for sale on CL. If any of you with any legal expertise on Software piracy can confirm or deny whether or not this is legit, Please let me know. I contacted this seller about his Macbook and also wanted to know if the CS4 installed came with the original disk'? He said no,But that it was legal anyway to sell it. I was under the impression it was considered piracy?

Most definitely piracy!!! I've also contacted folks selling computers on Craig's List doing this. Most of them say, "Sure it's legal software!"...although they are not including the original disks...PLUS not only are they including illegal software...but they feel they can charge EXTRA for it.

I've seen MacBook's that sell for $999 brand new at the Apple Store selling for $1400 on Craig List since the seller is including a bunch of illegal software (but no original disks).

And if the same serial key (for say CS4 programs) is used too often...Adobe will eventually figure this out...and then put the key on a "deactivated serial key list"...and then those CS4 programs will be no good to a buyer!!! Imagine paying $500 extra for a MacBook with the CS4 Master Collection installed on it (because the seller said it was legal software...but no disks)...and a couple weeks later the programs are no good!:(

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
He may have a business license. Anyone can get that by going down and filing for one. I am not aware of any program that Adobe has for a small business to sell licenses without the discs.

They do have a couple of volume licensing programs designed for commercial accounts, educational, military, that type of thing. A large company could well be able to sell licenses to their employees also. That's about all I know about it.

I'm sure there are lots more details that I'm unaware of. I keep bootable backups, TM backups and still wouldn't give a penny for software without the disc, unless they could prove to me the license carries free downloads and was verifiable through the company. Especially, a $800-$1500 app.

Even Dell only sells the retail package. If they can't get volume licensing to sell to their customers, can't see some small shop on the corner getting it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I contacted the seller he claimed he had a business license and that he could install the software on multiple computers.
It still sounds illegal to me. I would think that having a business license still would required the original owner to either own the computer they are installing it to or that you are an employee of his. If not then what's to stop everyone from doing this? You are not his employee and the computer will not longer be his so how can that really fall under the category of a business license?

There's a lot of no disc but they say it's legal software sellers on Craig's List and eBay. Even if it were legal, without the disc how can you reinstall the software yourself if you had to reformat the hard drive?

...PLUS not only are they including illegal software...but they feel they can charge EXTRA for it.
That's the thing that gets me. They have the nerve to charge people for something they either got free illegally or they sucker you to pay for their copy of the software and then keep the ownership by keeping the discs. It doesn't matter whether a person thinks piracy is right or wrong because if a person wanted to get a pirated copy they can get it for free themselves rather than being suckered into paying for an illegal copy. They are taking advantage of the buyer. No disc then no sale on software.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked on Abode' website and each license for CS4 is $2500 so if you had a "Business License" You would still have to pay for each copy of the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.