• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anybody else here from the old days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I was starting to wonder... with the number of recent switchers at the forum, how many others are there like me? Who else has memories of their first PCI Power Macintosh with System 7.5.5? Who else remembers eagerly tearing the shrinkwrap off of OS 8.5 and feeling like it was an amazing new world when installing it on a slate gray Powerbook? Who else remembers the Apple Extended Keyboard? The SE/30? The Color Classic? <3

I still have a lot of the Macs from when I was a kid!

Our original Macintosh 512KE with Dove SCSI card and 1MB RAM upgrade
A non-working SE/30 with 80MB hard disk
A Quadra 840AV with 128MB of RAM
A Power Mac 7200/120 that my dad used
My mom's Power Mac 6500/250
My Powerbook 3400/180 from high school

It really, honestly is fun to look back at what Apple used to be and remember the good times. I think they make the good times I have now even more special.

I just wish that a lot of the recent switchers could have known that joy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well as a switcher 12mths ago, i have come to see a good deal of members here talk about "the old days" and there experiences with there Mac's over time.
Now having switched and as most people, realise and cant understand why i didnt so much longer ago, I sit here and can only read of the tails of yesteryear and there Mac stories.
My memory is , commodore64, amiga and then windows PC's for the rest of it.

You will get a good response to this thread as the memories come flooding back for a few. :)
Enjoy

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was starting to wonder... with the number of recent switchers at the forum, how many others are there like me?

Just hang out in the forums for a while...you'll find out who the "old-timers" are.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Got my first Mac back in day, Macintosh Plus 1mb Ram and a 20MB SCSI hard drive and a image writer 1 printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've been using Mac's since the late 80's, but didn't own any of my own till the late 90's/early 2000's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
As we established before, been using Macs since my dad brought one home for his graduate studies in the late 80s/early 90s. Mac SE was the first one I remember, unless there was another that looked similar to the SE.

First machine that I can remember was that SE. Then came the Power Mac 7200/120. I was pumped because it had a color display. :) Then the Grape 333MHz tray loading iMac. AKA, the machine that started the revolution and brought Apple back to the top of the computing world. They pushed USB as a standard. :)

Then came the OS X experiment. We tried putting OS X on the iMac, and it crapped the bed. It was never the same, even when we tried to reinstall OS 9. Firmware must have gotten destroyed or something. Anyway, this forced the transition to the huge upgrade of an 800MHz G4 eMac running 10.2. From that day on I sang OS X its praises. June 2004, I got my dual 2 GHz PowerMac G5 tower and huge 23 inch ACD. The clear plastic spacey one. It was so cool, the old G4 style plastic. *Drool*

Then that baby died after 4 good years of service. I didn't have the cash to repair the logic board AND processors (the long story of how my computer died is documented in like 8 different threads, so i'll spare you all). I had to wait a year to get the funding. Thankfully I had switched my fiancee to the light side within a year of meeting her (my G5 said all that needed to be said), so I got to use a G4 eMac for that year. Now here I am with my aluminum MacBook, purchased April 2009.

<3 my life with Apple. The one company I trust.

My dad's also a professor, and always got the university he teaches at to get him Apple hardware, so I also had access to a blue and white G3 powermac tower (with matching CRT monitor), beige G3 power mac, a G4 pod iMac, titanium powerbook, a couple of his other powerbooks, and now most recently, a 20 inch aluminum iMac, 2GHz C2D.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OLD days! 300 Baud Modem. My first BBS.
Commodore 64 followed by Atari 130XE Modded with 512MB RAM Disk. :D
Atari 1040ST and Amiga 500.
First PC was a 286/16 with 1MB RAM.
First Mac was a Plus. Still own the Plus and a Mac 512.

So yes, go back to the early days of both Macs and computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
a n00b here in the Macintosh world. My mother was nice enough to allow me to get the MacBook I was looking at with her bonus money. Purchased her on May 25th 2008 (I know because I looked at the date I added my first GarageBand song to iTunes, which I made within 10 minutes of turning the machine on)

That feels like such a long time ago. She has been through a lot with me. I never realized I have almost had this machine for two years. She's still cooking, and only real problem she had was a kernel panic, that was solved shortly.

I am really happy with this computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've always wanted a Mac since the release of OS X but never could afford one until late 2006. So I'm somewhere in between The Transition and The Fashion Era

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Started with Tandy TRS 80 and commodore 64. ( Jurassic Park )

In terms of Operating Systems .... from CP/M to OS X in less than 30 years :)

Switched to OS X in 2008 ... good choice.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Technically it was ib the late 80's for me. Mind you I was like 4 or 5 at the time. But yes I have the photos of me infront of some old old Mac and me just staring at the screen not knowing what it was. It seems my family got me into Apple really early.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1990 LC original with RGB colour monitor, 160MB hard drive and maxed out to 8MB RAM, system 7.0.0, total of about nine white floppies in a nice little folder. Upgraded to 7.0.1 which required eleven floppies, and still use it with my Apple QuickTake 200 camera.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've always wanted a Mac since the release of OS X but never could afford one until late 2006. So I'm somewhere in between The Transition and The Fashion Era

Yep, missed us in the middle there right before the fashion era.

I walked past those Apple aisles for years as I headed to pick up the newest game and/or video card that just came out. If it wouldn't play my newest game, just wasn't much use to me back then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
1990 LC original with RGB colour monitor, 160MB hard drive and maxed out to 8MB RAM, system 7.0.0, total of about nine white floppies in a nice little folder. Upgraded to 7.0.1 which required eleven floppies, and still use it with my Apple QuickTake 200 camera.

I remember the LC series, I think here in the U.S. even back then it was still over $2000.00 brand new.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original LC was $2400, but the LCII and LCIII were around $1300. I wanted an LCIII but ended up inheriting a Quadra 840AV instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original LC was $2400, but the LCII and LCIII were around $1300. I wanted an LCIII but ended up inheriting a Quadra 840AV instead.

I remember when the Quadra was the sh*t.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

That's kind of where I was as well. When they switched to Intel and I could run Windows if I needed it, that cinched it for me.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember when the Quadra was the sh*t.

The one I have was around $12,000 in 1993 or 1994 when it was new. It originally ran CAD/CAM and interfaced with this closed-circuit camera to monitor the CAM fabricator machine.

It still runs as far as I know, but I don't have a monitor for it anymore. My last screen with the old wide Mac video plug went out years ago :(

When I last turned it on, I had 8.1 installed with Office 4.3 and a bunch of other crap that's mostly useless at this point since I don't have any AV hardware to plug into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
My good ol' days started out with all of the time I spent with our family's Apple //e. I loved that computer, and still have it. Oh, how I wish I could have gotten a //gs! I wanted one so badly, and I still do. I'm going to buy one some day if I can find one in good condition for a reasonable price.

Switched to IBM-compatible PCs in the late '80s and am still there, but parallel with that I've also been working with Macs. This may sound silly, but in the late '90s I purchased a refurbished Macintosh Classic simply because I wanted to own that particular kind of Mac -- essentially the original kind that started the GUI revolution. It really didn't cost that much, and now I have it here in my office as a kind of "piece of history." Then I bought a G3 iMac with Jaguar on it seven or eight years ago, and now I have a new Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, I really hated the Mac when it first came out. I was a major Apple // fanboy as I had started using them and got my first experience programming back in late '79 (I was almost 9 at the time) and loved the line up until my sophomore year in college when I had to switch to a DOS machine because the compilers I needed to use for school were for DOS (I put it off as long as I could even using my gs at the time to connect to the unix machines at school to do my coding). I felt at the time that Apple had really turned it's back on a very faithful group of computer owners when it pretty much abandoned the // line in favor of the Mac (which I know I wasn't the only one at the time that felt that and at the time there was a significantly larger user and software base for the // line). I had purchased a Mac here and there used but never really touched them (had them incase at the time someone came asking for help on one so I could have something to learn/experiment on instead of their machine). I only switched to Mac back in the beginning of '09 - and I'll admit I'm a very happy Mac owner (well, multiple Mac as you can see from my sig-tag ;) ).

Now, to CarpathiaMan - if you are ever really interested in getting an old GS, let me know - I went through a period back around 2000/2001 (when I owned a business and building in WI where I had more then enough space) where I got a wild hair about wanting to collect and catalog old Apple // gear. Although I've sold quite a few off as I really just don't have space any more, I still have quite a few GS machines (and II+, IIe (I still have one collectable which is a IIe that was from what it looks like originally used at Apple (it has an Apple metal inventory tag on it), and IIc+) and have a variety of parts (3 1/2's, 5 1/4's, memory cards, hard drives, keyboards, mice, manuals, software, ethernet card (yes, ethernet), etc.). Yeah, I kinda went crazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.