• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Repairing torn Headphone wire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.93 GHz--Powerbook G4 400 Mhz--Mac Mini G4--Macbook Pro 17" 3.0 GHz--30" Apple Cinema Disp
I purchased a set of Bose Around the Ear headphones about 10 months back and
now find myself in a slight predicament. The one of the two-wire cord has ben severed where it connects to the jack at the end of the cord. The sound from the right speaker is nonexistant but the left ear is fine. I sent it out to Bose and they refused to fix it calling it "mistreatment by user". Is there a way i can easily (and cheaply) repair this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
You could solder the cable yourself it may not look too pretty but it's better than not having sound. Be careful if you do solder it because you need to heat the wire a little befor applying the solder for a good connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, you could theoretically solder a new joint in the damaged wire. But in reality, the wires are so thin, you'd have a heck of a time stripping them to actually find useful conductor to solder. And of course wrapping the joint with shrink wrap or electrical tape will eventually fall apart.

In my opinion, I'd just toss them and get a new (cheaper) set. Bose speakers and headphones are not all they're cracked up to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Yes, you could theoretically solder a new joint in the damaged wire. But in reality, the wires are so thin, you'd have a heck of a time stripping them to actually find useful conductor to solder. And of course wrapping the joint with shrink wrap or electrical tape will eventually fall apart.

In my opinion, I'd just toss them and get a new (cheaper) set. Bose speakers and headphones are not all they're cracked up to be.

Yeah Bose aren't that great they lack high end and low end response. At least the ones I've heard do. Stripping them wouldn't be too hard just a bit time consuming. Good luck!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.93 GHz--Powerbook G4 400 Mhz--Mac Mini G4--Macbook Pro 17" 3.0 GHz--30" Apple Cinema Disp
Ok i believe i am just going to purchase a set of new headphones due to the fact that i do not have a soldering gun and that i have no experience soldering anything. Thanks for the help all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.