Dual Boot/VM Ubuntu on 10.6

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a fairly recent Mac convert, and I love it to the extent that I've not touched my PC in the 10 months since I got my MacBook (originally purchased solely for the purpose of running Handbrake native - how little I knew of its glory...). I'm not terribly tech-savvy, but I know my way around alright.
The thing is this - I'm a CS major, and I'd really like to learn my way around Linux, just to have another system I know. My question is this - what's the simplest way to do a dual boot/virtual machine for Ubuntu (recommended as a good Linux intro by a coworker) on my '08 refresh white polycarbonate MacBook? I hear conflicting reports about whether Boot Camp could recognize the Ubuntu iso on a disk, and even if it could whether it would be stable. I don't want to blow 60-70 dollars on VMware or some such tool without any Linux experience, but I'd like some sort of virtual box/shell that I can play with, do a little coding, etc - generally get my hands a little dirty - without having to use some online sampler virtual box that's more of a tour video. Any suggestions on a cheap, simple way to do this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
VirtualBox is a good start. It's free and the performance is pretty good. It may not have all of the fancy features that VMWare Fusion has but it's free so it's worth a shot. I use it here and love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.