Mail won't let me delete mailboxes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi all!

Interesting problem here with mac's mail client.

I can't seem to be able to delete any of the mailboxes. I know how to do (according to the help) but it doesn't matter whether I right click on the mailbox I want gone, or I go to "mailbox" the "delete mailbox" portion is grayed out and not clickable for me. Thus I can't seem to delete any of the mailboxes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance all! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Who is your ISP and what are you using for your mail server? (Google, Yahoo, HotMail, etc.)

Regards.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ISP is Verizon Fios, and all my accounts within mac mail client are all gmail accounts currently.

Correction: One of the accounts is a yahoo mail account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that's strange. I also use Verizon FIOS and Google Mail but my mailboxes can be easily deleted or moved. The reason I asked is because with certain IMap accounts mailboxes are duplicated on the server and can not be deleted or moved from within Mac Mail. But that shouldn't be the case with GMail.

Try repairing permissions. Open Disk Utility from Utilities, highlight your MacIntosh HD on the left and select "repair permissions" from the selection below. It will take awhile to finish. Let us know if that works.

Regards.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give that a shot right now! Thanks for all the help! I'll let you know how it goes!

This won't mess anything up will it? Or totally change the settings on anything, or delete anything etc.. will it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, other than taking some time to run, repairing permissions won't impact on anything else. Perfectly safe to do.

Regards.

Reaction score
Thanks, chscag. I had exactly the problem described with a mailbox under "On My Mac." I ran Repair Disk Permissions and tried again after restarting Mail and the mailbox deleted as it should!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.