• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Location of trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
So my friends and I were talking about how all mac track pads are dead center on the lower body and other companies like hp and Sony are offset. One of my friends said Apple has a patent on the location of the track pad making them the only ones that can put it perfectly centered. I didn't really believe it so after doing research on Google and other places I found no evidence of this being true. If anyone knows the right answer to this with some sort of evidence it would help solve a $100 bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't have any proof but I think the reason why Apple has it dead center is due to aesthetics. It could also be that it feels a little awkward to go farther to the left where most PCs have it since I use the trackpad with my right hand. I feel that I'm leaning a little too much to the left when using a PC trackpad that is offset to the left. Since I'm right handed it would be more ergonomic if the trackpad were more to the right but that would probably annoy left handed users and I don't think it looks as good as being in the center.

Most PCs I've used have the trackpad perfectly lined up to the center of the where you place your hands. With the way the QWERTY keyboard is laid out your hands are offset a little to the left and the center falls between the G and H keys. This is where I've noticed most PCs have aligned their trackpads and I believe this is also the reason why they are offset to the left. It could be a difference in philosophy about where to place the trackpad. PCs seem to use the G and H keys as the trackpad center point while Apple likes the center of the computer to be the center point.

PC laptops with full sized keyboards (full number pad on the right) are even more offset to the left. I hate using those. I feel like I'm way too far to the left in relation to the screen. Sorry I don't think you'll win the bet with my answer, but on the positive side your friend won't win either. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't buy it - my company has literally hundreds of laptops - and on almost all of them, the trackpad is dead center. We have a combination of Dell, HP, Lenovo and Acer - so it's not like one manufacturer just decided to take a risk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple has a patent for its particular style of multi touch trackpads, but that's it. There is no patent for the trackpad being absolutely centered on the lower half of the laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Am I the only one that thinks its a bit on the odd side that anyone would bet $100 on a trackpad ?!

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I the only one that thinks its a bit on the odd side that anyone would bet $100 on a trackpad ?!

Clay
Maybe someone just likes to gamble. ;D

I'm not a patent expert but I don't know if you can patent the location of a trackpad. The technology yes but the location I don't think so.

I still think it's the preference of the computer companies as to where they are placed based on their ideas of ergonomics, aesthetics, or whatever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Clay

That thought did cross my mind...but then lots of folks have lots of different interests...and thus some unusual things get bet/gambled on. Besides...the bet is really not about the subject matter...it's about testosterone & the "I'm right & you're wrong" perspective!;)

Kinda like if someone said to "someone" else...I bet you can't eat $10.00 dollars worth of Taco Bell burritos (which adds up to about 11 burritos @ $.89 cent each)!

Then the "person" tries...and only eats 8.5 burritos! Ha ha!!!
smiley-fart005.gif

Just teasing,;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
That thought did cross my mind...but then lots of folks have lots of different interests...and thus some unusual things get bet/gambled on. Besides...the bet is really not about the subject matter...it's about testosterone & the "I'm right & you're wrong" perspective!;)

Kinda like if someone said to "someone" else...I bet you can't eat $10.00 dollars worth of Taco Bell burritos (which adds up to about 11 burritos @ $.89 cent each)!

smiley-fart005.gif

Just teasing,;)

- Nick

LOL, A fine fine point my friend !

OP
kkelly122
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod

Thats exactly it lol. Good thing I'm on the winning side of it.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It has to do with whether or not a keyboard comes with a number pad. Those with number pads keep the trackpad displaced to line up underneath the qwerty section of the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

smiley-fart005.gif

Just teasing,;)

- Nick
It sounds like you speak from experience. ;D

It has to do with whether or not a keyboard comes with a number pad. Those with number pads keep the trackpad displaced to line up underneath the qwerty section of the keyboard.
I'm assuming you are replying to me since I'm the only who brought up the number pad. I didn't say the number pad was the cause. I was making an additional statement about laptops with number pads and why I don't like them. It wasn't the key reason why I thought some PC trackpads were off center.

The reason why I thought PC trackpads were off center was that they were trying to lineup the trackpad to the center of the G and H keys. The trackpad would be off center too if they did that on Macs. The PC laptops I've used have all their trackpads lined up to the center of G and H keys which is the center of my hands when I rest my index fingers on the F and J keys. So it looks like they are using a different center reference point then Macs. Not all PCs do this. Just the ones I've used and the ones I've used don't have number pad keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I was replying to the OP... thats usually why theyre off. The center is actually between the G and J keys, and may actually be the H key, looking at my macbook anyway. But no, I sell PC laptops... the ones that aren't centered are the ones with number pads. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The center is actually between the G and J keys, and may actually be the H key, looking at my macbook anyway.
It think we are pretty saying the same thing. :) I agree the center of the computer is roughly the H key but when typing we place our fingers on the ASDF and JKL; keys for touch typing. At least I do anyway.

This means that when we place our fingers on the ASDF and JKL; keys then the center where are hands are is roughly between the G and H keys and that's where I've noticed the center of the PC trackpads I've used were. It's just a slight off center.

The QWERTY keyboard hand position seems to be slightly off center to the left because as you said the H key is really the center of the keyboard but we don't place our right hand on the KL;' keys. For most people the PC trackpads I've used are close enough to center to call it center but it's not the perfect dead center that the OP was talking about seen on Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I know they have the nobs, and that to type "perfectly" i'd rest my middle fingers on each of them... though to be honest, i do just fine touch typing with my hands just over the keyboard and knowing the layout of the keys by habit now. I'll take imperfect technique with perfect results any day of the week! Just ask my man Hendrix. :) But yea, we are saying the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll take imperfect technique with perfect results any day of the week!
If it works it works. I still have friends that do the hunt and peck technique with two fingers. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hunt and peck is a brutal time to remember. Thankfully, I'm a musician, so i have no problem memorizing buttons locations in relation to one another on a variety of instruments. Gotta <3 that dexterity. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
Yeah patenting the location of the trackpad would be like trying to patent the sun. You don't do it and you can't do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.