.iso file wont burn to make a bootable dvd to install windows vista

Reaction score
Hi all

Ive been trying to install windows vista 32-bit on my macbook pro (bought in feb 2008) 2.4 GHz Intel core duo with 2 GB of ram, OS X 10.5.8

Ive made the partition through bootcamp of 30 GB for windows. However, my cd/dvd drive is broken so im using target disk mode to install using a dvd

I burned the .iso image of windows vista ultimate onto the DVD-RW on the mac that is in target disk mode, by
1. dragging the .iso file into the side bar of disk utility
2. clicking burn

when the dvd had finished, it appeared as a dvd icon on the second mac (using target disk mode), but on mine it appears as a mounted volume. when i get info this is what it says
Kind: Volume
Format: ISO 9660 (Joliet)

When i go to boot up with the dvd on the first mac (Installing windows) the black screen comes up with "Non bootable device"

So im not sure whether Im just doing something wrong here with the burning of the dvd and not getting it to be a bootable dvd, or whether something else is wrong.

I did manage to install vista using the .iso file through VMware Fusion, worked fine but was really really slow!

Can anybody offer any help here with maybe a way to get a bootable dvd? or even if there is another way thats easier using the .iso file itself?

Any help would be very VERY much appreciated as ive been trying for 2 days now through so many different route!! Thanks for reading, and hope you can help =)

p.s. ive searched the internet about bootable cd's and dvd's and tried most things, none work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you ever tried this with the ' original ' DVD, not with the one that you burned the ISO on ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
Have you ever tried this with the ' original ' DVD, not with the one that you burned the ISO on ?

Cheers ... McBie

It was a downloaded windows vista unfortunately. I dont have an original copy.

This same one has been used on my old PC and worked fine, as well as on the mac now, just not installing onto the separate partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hmmmmmm, better check out the community guidelines on this forum.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a pirated copy and moderators will close this thread as we do not support piracy period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.