Mac OS version 9 cannot see share on NT4

S

sachaa

Hi All

I am one of those people that has stayed away from MACs for most of my career. This is not because I dislike them, it's just because I have never been in a place which has used them. However, I now find myself in the position of having to connect a MAC to an NT4 workstation with a shared folder. Everyone has full control under the Share Permissions and Full Control under security permissions.

The folder is shared on the NT4 workstation with a short name. I go to the MAC, go to Chooser, select AppleShare, select the machine (called Ripmate). I then get a question about whether I want to use Appleshare UAM or Microsoft UAM.

I tried both and was able to log on to the workstation (or at least that is how it appeared) under both UAMs. I had to try both but they had the same results. Once I log on, I am only offered access to what appears to be a share called Microsoft UAM. Upon selecting this (because I have no choice) a file called MS UAM appears on the MAC desktop. Upon further investigation I found that this contained a folder called Appleshare. Double clicking on this, I found a UAM readme file and a MS UAM file. I followed the instructions in the readme file and copied the MS UAM into the Appleshare folder in the System Folder on the Mac HD.

I then restarted the machine and attempted to connect to the NT4 workstation again. Unfortuntely, the procedure described above just repeats itself. In other words, I can't see any shares on the NT4 workstation except for this Microsoft UAM share.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Just a little further info

- The NT4 workstation is in a workgroup called (surprisingly) WORKGROUP
- The NT4 workstation is called RIPMATE.
- There is a domain on the network which the MAC I was working on is part of. The MAC is called REPRO. The domain is called DOMAIN.
- I tested the share could be seen and access by other PCs (XP machines) and there was no problem.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help.

cheers

sacha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
sachaa said:
Hi All

I am one of those people that has stayed away from MACs for most of my career. This is not because I dislike them, it's just because I have never been in a place which has used them. However, I now find myself in the position of having to connect a MAC to an NT4 workstation with a shared folder. Everyone has full control under the Share Permissions and Full Control under security permissions.

Unfortunately what I've found is that if you want to easily access anything other than the UAM Share with Classic OS, is to use DAVE from http://www.thursby.com.
This allows access to shares, printers, NTLM authentication, etc...

If you can update the Mac to OS 10.3 (minimum) it would work better, and you won't need DAVE. You could "try" 10.2, but I've found that Jaguar is inadequate with regards to accessing Windows networking.

Let me know how you make out.

-Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.