Chrome OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Anybody download the ported iso and boot it up in a virtual machine yet? I've got a copy of the OS now from gdgt, but haven't put it in yet as I haven't upgraded my RAM back to 4GB yet. Dad still hasn't called OWC, so I'm just going to buy another upgrade tomorrow.

Can't wait to try it out, it looks pretty nice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I compiled it on my MBA in Kubuntu 9.10. Took forever, but it worked. I wasn't impressed with the OS though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's Google Chrome Browser with a linux kernel. The interface for the apps looks like something 20 years ago. I am totally against my data in a cloud. If that is what one wants, then I guess Chrome OS will be the way to go.

Yes I am running it in Virtual Box.

People even hear at Mac Forums have argued with me about this but all the apps besides Chrome Browser are on the net as well as your data.

Reaction score
It's Google Chrome Browser with a linux kernel. The interface for the apps looks like something 20 years ago. I am totally against my data in a cloud. If that is what one wants, then I guess Chrome OS will be the way to go.

Yes I am running it in Virtual Box.

People even hear at Mac Forums have argued with me about this but all the apps besides Chrome Browser are on the net as well as your data.

I suppose it all makes more sense when your internet connection runs at 1 gb/s:

Google Plans To Deliver 1Gb/sec Fiber-Optic Broadband Network To More Than 50,000 Homes

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I compiled it on my MBA in Kubuntu 9.10. Took forever, but it worked. I wasn't impressed with the OS though.
I did it here too in an Ubuntu VM (yeah, a VM may not have been the best choice). Did it once a while back with no problems but tried a second time and kept getting gyp errors. I ended up giving up due to a lack of interest based on my first compile/test. I ended up dropping to the CLI shortly after using it.

I suppose it all makes more sense when your internet connection runs at 1 gb/s:

Google Plans To Deliver 1Gb/sec Fiber-Optic Broadband Network To More Than 50,000 Homes
I don't think network speeds are the issue (taking a guess here). I think, at least for me, it has to do with privacy of your data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yeah, I'd prefer my data be a "localized thunderstorm" of data floating around inside my house and accessible via VPN, versus a "cloud" of my data floating out in the ether-realms of the world.

OP
DarkestRitual
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, I saw that. Made a dummy account and checked it out anyway. Looks alright, but not so much for me. I love the browser, and I could even deal with cloud computing... so long as I was connecting to my own home private cloud. Not one on google.com =-O

Anyway, I put my machine back up to 4GB and it's so much nicer. Having to revert back to 2 after my first 4gig upgrade crapped out was heartbreaking. I'm back, though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you like the browser, just download the Chrome beta or a Chromium nightly. I know the ChromeOS browser is different but the differences aren't anything you can't make up for with bookmarks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.