PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery on OS 9?

FinerWine
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I deleted a folder on an old Mac running OS9 Classic with approx. 2 gigs of files I had yet to back up. I need to recover these files!

Freeware would be awesome, but I haven't found anything so far.

Any ideas?

(And no, I haven't run the computer since I deleted the files.)

harryb2448
02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
No doubt freeware would be great but data recovery does not work that way. Commercial recovery will set you back hundreds, if not thousands, and Data Rescue 3 is generally considered the best for Mac but it is $99.00:-

Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3 (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php)

cwa107
02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Just a thought... did you delete the files *and* empty the trash? If not, have you checked the trash?

Unfortunately, most tools that can scan for deleted files are OS X - based. I know of no programs that run under classic. You may be able to get away with connecting the HDD to a newer Mac and run the tool there, but that might be tough depending on the age of the old Mac.

Mac SK
02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
You need something like Norton Systemworks Version 6.x. Dont write any new data to the drive or you will lose your recovery.