When will people stop calling the iPad an:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
[rant]iPhone ? EVERY single iPad thread I've read manages to say that the iPad is an iPhone and MacBook in one.

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

Please repeat after me everyone:

The iPad doesn't make phone calls and is NOT a cellular phone ! The iPad doesn't make phone calls and is NOT a cellular phone ! The iPad doesn't make phone calls and is NOT a cellular phone ! The iPad doesn't make phone calls and is NOT a cellular phone !

Rinse and repeat as many X's as necessary until you've figured out that there is NO physical way to make a cellular phone call with the iPad. And if and when the Skype app is available, it STILL will NOT be a PHONE !

NO PHONE!!!

[/rant].

Signed,

A concerned citizen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I totally agree. It's more like an iPhone and a MacBook in one device.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Doug, I got so fed up with people calling it that I started calling it a Telephone like the old dial phones just to bug them. :D

I will always love this video. Yes it's a joke but it is a Telephone, dial and all! :D

YouTube - zunePhone ad

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
More often, I see them calling it a glorified iPod Touch.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah I see the LARGE iPod touch also. The thing that bugs me even more though is people calling a Feminine pad. I have always thought when I see a device you can write on of a Pad. A writing Pad. Ever since I was a kid I heard Writing Pad.

People have dirty minds.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Yeah I see the LARGE iPod touch also. The thing that bugs me even more though is people calling a Feminine pad. I have always thought when I see a device you can write on of a Pad. A writing Pad. Ever since I was a kid I heard Writing Pad.

People have dirty minds.

Yeah, there is a precedent for using the word "pad" for things other than feminine protection. People are goofy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Glad you came out and said that Doug.
It has gotten to the point i have given up even reading anything to do with the Big iPhone lol
It does get annoying because i like to give my input into the thread but have been at my wits end.
Soon the honeymoon period will wear off and we will get some sensible posts again and ill start to read them again ...
Good on ya for bringing it up :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Honestly, it does seem to me to be a larger, more powerful iPod Touch with a few extras. That's fine by me as it seems to be a somewhat accurate description. It's not a phone and it's not a laptop. To me, it's closest descendent in form and function, would appear to be an iPod Touch. Once again, fine by me. It is what it is, and isn't what it's not. Enjoy it and be glad there is another choice out there if you need portable media/browsing/email with content approved by Apple Corp. No harm in that. :)

Reaction score
I can't say I technically disagree with people saying it is a large ipod touch, because in essence it is. It is a large ipod touch with a redesigned UI and apps that fit with the larger screen size. But to me, that feels great. I've wanted something like this ever since I had my iphone. I use it to watch movies, write e-mails and use the internet, but all of these things would be better if it were BIGGER. Also, I wanted office software like Iwork to be able to make notes, write stuff, open stuff and edit stuff. The Ipad seems to be everything I wanted it to be, a big Ipod Touch with a redesigned UI and apps made to fit the new medium.

Reaction score
I can't say I technically disagree with people saying it is a large ipod touch, because in essence it is. It is a large ipod touch with a redesigned UI and apps that fit with the larger screen size. But to me, that feels great. I've wanted something like this ever since I had my iphone. I use it to watch movies, write e-mails and use the internet, but all of these things would be better if it were BIGGER. Also, I wanted office software like Iwork to be able to make notes, write stuff, open stuff and edit stuff. The Ipad seems to be everything I wanted it to be, a big Ipod Touch with a redesigned UI and apps made to fit the new medium.

Same here :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I also think it's a large iPod Touch, really, just a big powerful one I concur, but a touch it certainly resembles.

C

chas_m

I have a feeling the perception in both the public and geek circles (which, interestingly, are totally opposite each other) will change when people can actually see and try one.

As for "a big iPod Touch" I suppose it would be fair to call it that as a *starting point,* but really it is exactly what Apple said it was -- an entirely new category. You'll see.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Apple hating friend who says, The Iphone is JUST an iPod with a phone. It does nothing else. He calls it worthless and says his Nokia basic cell phone does everything an iPhone does.

Some people are either haters of Apple to the point they are blinded to the truth, or just not very smart.

My friend really does not like music either so detests the iPod or any other music player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I have an Apple hating friend who says, The Iphone is JUST an iPod with a phone. It does nothing else. He calls it worthless and says his Nokia basic cell phone does everything an iPhone does.

Some people are either haters of Apple to the point they are blinded to the truth, or just not very smart.

My friend really does not like music either so detests the iPod or any other music player.

Doesn't like music AND hates Apple? You guys must have SOMETHING in common haha.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't like music AND hates Apple? You guys must have SOMETHING in common haha.

Basically just computers in general and both him and his wife have been friends with me for 18 years now. The music thing is interesting though as i know very few who really don't enjoy music of some kind.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

How can anyone hate music? >_>"

Yes I agree it's with Doug, it's not an iPhone and Macbook in one. For one it runs only apps and there is no phone. I don't see how people can compare it to a notebook at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
That my friend is something I do not understand. I loved music when I was maybe 2 or so.

Your friend may in fact be a robot. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.