Windows 7 on my Macbook

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to install Windows 7 on my Macbook for work reasons, which has the following specs:

OS X 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I believe Boot Camp came with the computer, already installed. What else do I need to get Windows 7 running? Do I need to upgrade my OS to Leopard? Do I need a full version of Windows 7, since I don't have any version of Windows installed? Since I have MS Office for Mac, do I need to buy MS Office for Windows in order to use on the Windows side? Any other suggestions or tips? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're already running Leopard if you have OS X 10.5.8 and should have at least a copy of Boot Camp 2.0. You can install Win 7 using Boot Camp 2.0 but you will have to update your Boot Camp Windows drivers by downloading the latest update to Boot Camp from Apple. You do that from Windows after Win 7 is installed.

As for which copy of Windows 7 that you can install.... There is some discussion of what the MS EULA says and doesn't say about that. However, from the best authorities on the subject (Brian Livingston RE Windows Secrets)
you can install an upgrade version of Windows 7 without proof of upgrade and activate it. This does not mean that you should not already own a copy of an eligible upgrade version of Windows, however. This does work because that's exactly how I installed my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

As for MS Office: If you wish to use MS Office from the Windows side, you will need a copy of Office for Windows. The Mac version only works from OS X.

Several suggestions to consider: You might think about running Windows 7 using virtual software instead of installing via Boot Camp. And instead of Windows 7, you might consider installing XP Home instead. XP requirements as far as drivers go, will be easier than Windows 7 and XP uses less resources.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
You're already running Leopard if you have OS X 10.5.8 and should have at least a copy of Boot Camp 2.0. You can install Win 7 using Boot Camp 2.0 but you will have to update your Boot Camp Windows drivers by downloading the latest update to Boot Camp from Apple. You do that from Windows after Win 7 is installed.

As for which copy of Windows 7 that you can install.... There is some discussion of what the MS EULA says and doesn't say about that. However, from the best authorities on the subject (Brian Livingston RE Windows Secrets)
you can install an upgrade version of Windows 7 without proof of upgrade and activate it. This does not mean that you should not already own a copy of an eligible upgrade version of Windows, however. This does work because that's exactly how I installed my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

As for MS Office: If you wish to use MS Office from the Windows side, you will need a copy of Office for Windows. The Mac version only works from OS X.

Several suggestions to consider: You might think about running Windows 7 using virtual software instead of installing via Boot Camp. And instead of Windows 7, you might consider installing XP Home instead. XP requirements as far as drivers go, will be easier than Windows 7 and XP uses less resources.

Regards.

Thanks for the response. Don't you think Parallels will even be slower?

OP
K
Reaction score

Regards.

Also, do I need the 32-bit or 64-bit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.