Bootcamp XP works, but does not show up under startup disk in preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 2009, OS X 10.6.2
I installed XP SP3 successfully and am able to go back and forth between XP and OS X using the OPTION key, but under OS X the only startup disk it recognizes is the Mac OS X partition - what can I do about this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you named (or labeled) your Windows XP partition? When in XP, open My Computer, and label your Windows XP partition. Call it WinXP or anything you like. Reboot back to OS X, open System Preferences and see if it appears as a startup disk.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I changed it to Win XP from Bootcamp, but unfortunately it didn't help. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Have you loaded NTFS for Mac or anything recently?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks - I changed it to Win XP from Bootcamp, but unfortunately it didn't help. Any other ideas?

Which version of OS X are you running? Also - if you're using NTFS 3G, I suggest uninstalling it and instead use Paragon NTFS. If you're running Snow Leopard, let me know as SL has built in support for NTFS.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which version of OS X are you running? Also - if you're using NTFS 3G, I suggest uninstalling it and instead use Paragon NTFS. If you're running Snow Leopard, let me know as SL has built in support for NTFS.

Regards.

OS X 10.6.2. I did not know SL supported NTFS? Should I still get Paragon NTFS? I'm indeed using NTFS 3G.

Thanks again!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.6.2. I did not know SL supported NTFS? Should I still get Paragon NTFS? I'm indeed using NTFS 3G.

Thanks again!

OK. I think NTFS 3G might be the problem as it has been known to cause odd things to happen when trying to mount a NTFS volume. Let's try removing it and see what happens.

And yes, Snow Leopard has built in support for NTFS although it is not turned on by default. There are two ways to turn it on: One is to use a terminal command, and the other a small program that does it for you. I recommend downloading the small free program. It's called "ntfsMounter" and can be downloaded from here. (No need to purchase Paragon NTFS)

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see it now - thanks a lot for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Glad you got it working. Have fun. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.