Upload speeds vary from location to location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.11; 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 processor; 512 MB DDR SDRAM memory; 70 GB HD
New to Mac Forums. Sorry, I might get a little winded.

Experiencing slow upload speeds from location to location. I live rurally and have broadband equipment (antenna) and switch in an office in a barn with CAT 5e cable run from there to the house with airport. Distance is 300 feet. Haven't had any problems with speed until a week ago and this setup is more than six months old.

Download and upload speeds are fine when connected in the barn; upload speeds diminish greatly when connected in the house, whether plugged directly in to airport or the cable.

Internet provider says its not on their end.

Here's speedtest.net results from this morning. I only have a 1MB package

If something is wrong with the CAT 5 cable, wouldn't affect the download speeds too? We've have a ton of rain in the past couple of weeks.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Water in one of the connections can drastically cut into your download speeds.

Fought with my ISP for 16 months before they finally had a tech come out that knew what he was doing and found one of their caps filled with water a block away from my house that had been causing all of my issues. It was a pain because it only happened after a rain and within 24-36 hours the cap would drain and start working properly again. And of course they didn't want to send a tech out until 3-4 days after I made the call, by which time, everything would be working just fine again.

It took 2 months after AT&T took over Comcast here to get it fixed. Another reason Comcast can't have any of my money while there is another option available.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, OS 10.4.11; 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 processor; 512 MB DDR SDRAM memory; 70 GB HD
Water may be the issue. It certainly affects the phone lines! We'll check the casings.

Thanks.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Water may be the issue. It certainly affects the phone lines! We'll check the casings.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
300' is pushing the maximum cable length for CAT5, which is roughly 328'. You may want to trade that out for a CAT6, outdoor grade cable.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most informative. Did not know there was an outdoor grade cable.

Thanks very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.