Connecting a G4 powerbook to a XP laptop query

S

staffkeeper

Hi All,
I have a G4 Powerbook without superdrive and I am wanting to burn a DVD would it be possible to connect to an XP laptop with DVD burner open the burner to share on the network and access it via the Powerbook and use the drive to burn the DVD?
I am looking to do this wirelessly if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if they are both on the same wireless network, as long as you have sharing on on both, and appletalk on on the mac, you can transfer the dvd you wish to burn to the xp box and burn it, or use toast in os x, select a shared burner and burn it that way.

OP
S

staffkeeper

Thanks Macman is Appletalk already installed on my powerbook or do I have to download it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
its part of the os, in system preferences>network> you should see a list of connection types/possibilities, built in ethernet, built in modem, and airport or some sort of wireless connection, select what you're using, should be the airport, click configure, there should be a tab called appletalk, in the tab, you can turn on appletalk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
staffkeeper said:
Hi All,
I have a G4 Powerbook without superdrive and I am wanting to burn a DVD would it be possible to connect to an XP laptop with DVD burner open the burner to share on the network and access it via the Powerbook and use the drive to burn the DVD?
I am looking to do this wirelessly if possible.

You can't really access the burner by shared name with ease. What MacMan suggests is exactly what I'd do if you had to burn to disc directly from the Mac, used Shared Burner option. I forget if Roxio for PC has it, but I imagine it does. Enable it on the PC, and queue up your files on the Mac for burning. :)

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.