PDA

View Full Version : Recovering data from old floppies

bratfarrar
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
In going through some old boxes, I just came across about 20 floppies from 1992 (!). I'd like to try to recover the data from them, but don't even have a floppy drive to see if they mount. Any ideas?

(They were made on a Powerbook 170, presumably with MacOS 6 or 7)

bobtomay
02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
???

buy a floppy drive

chscag
02-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Plenty of choices for an external USB Floppy drive from Tiger Direct. HERE (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=287&name=Floppy%20Disk%20Drives)

And yes, they'll work with a Mac as well as a Windows PC. (I use one.)

Regards.

pigoo3
02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
In going through some old boxes, I just came across about 20 floppies from 1992 (!). I'd like to try to recover the data from them, but don't even have a floppy drive to see if they mount. Any ideas?

(They were made on a Powerbook 170, presumably with MacOS 6 or 7)

Once you figure out what is on those floppy disks...you may have trouble reading/launching the files...since they may require some applications that are no longer current...or you may need a MUCH older version of a current application.

And of course to run those older applications...you may need a computer that is running a MUCH older version of the Mac OS. And finally to run a MUCH older version of the Mac OS...you may need a really old Mac.

So the bottom line is...you may need a really old Mac...to run an older OS...in order to run the older application versions (which you may or may not have)...you need to open the files with.

It's a vicious circle!;)

- Nick

harryb2448
02-07-2010, 11:49 PM
My LC original came with OS 7.0, and with that operating system on floppies, and update to 7.0.1 there were twenty floppies in total, all a white colour. If they are system discs they will be numbered. If not may me saved work and AppleWorks may read the files.