Slow data transfer with Time Capsule on 802.11n ?

Reaction score
Hi,

Actually, I don't know where to start. But let's explain my setup first:

My iMac (wired) and AppleTV (wireless) are connected to the Time Capsule (802.11n, 5Ghz)

My girlfriend's MacBook and 2 x iPhone 2G's (wireless) are connected to an Airport Extreme Base station (802.11b/g compatible).

The Time Capsule and AEBS are connected and show two different networks.

Now the problem:

When I copy files from e.g. the iMac to the MacBook or to the Apple TV, it's very slow. I've used scp to copy a 200 mb file and it took about 1.20 minutes (at 2.5MB/s). I've did the same when the iMac was connected over wireless and it took about 3.45 to 4.30 minutes (at 1.0MB/s).

I'm not sure if this IS slow, but it certainly feels like it. 802.11n should be around 100 Mb/s in practice and 802.11b/g around 20-25 Mb/s.

By the way: downloading from the Internet is excellent, I get the full download/upload speed my provider offers for my subscription.

Second, I added the signal strength/noise levels for the Time Capsule attached devices. They vary around -68Db signal, -90Db noise.

The question is: are these levels normal ? What should be higher or lower ?

Thanks in advance !

Rutger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My iMac (wired) and AppleTV (wireless) are connected to the Time Capsule (802.11n, 5Ghz)

My girlfriend's MacBook and 2 x iPhone 2G's (wireless) are connected to an Airport Extreme Base station (802.11b/g compatible).

are you using this set up to give 11g and 11n? Is the TC Dual antenna model?

OP
R
Reaction score
The TC is on 802.11n only and it is the original model. So no dual antenna.

The other base station is to configured to 802.11b/g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not have g/f macbook on 11n as well.
For movies and Apple TV
When I copy files from e.g. the iMac to the MacBook or to the Apple TV, it's very slow

are you adding movies while in iTunes?

If you have a number of big files to shift you will do it more quickly using Firewire 800.
This my results form recent transfer;
Copying 52,000 files and 58 GB USB 2.0 = 33 hour
Using Firewire 800 for same - 44 minutes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Hi,

Actually, I don't know where to start. But let's explain my setup first:

Now the problem:

When I copy files from e.g. the iMac to the MacBook or to the Apple TV, it's very slow. I've used scp to copy a 200 mb file and it took about 1.20 minutes (at 2.5MB/s). I've did the same when the iMac was connected over wireless and it took about 3.45 to 4.30 minutes (at 1.0MB/s).

I'm not sure if this IS slow, but it certainly feels like it. 802.11n should be around 100 Mb/s in practice and 802.11b/g around 20-25 Mb/s.

By the way: downloading from the Internet is excellent, I get the full download/upload speed my provider offers for my subscription.

Second, I added the signal strength/noise levels for the Time Capsule attached devices. They vary around -68Db signal, -90Db noise.

The question is: are these levels normal ? What should be higher or lower ?

Thanks in advance !

Rutger

You will never see those speeds at all. I think at most it would be around 20-40 Mb/s with 802.11n.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.