about apple lossless....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
I was just sitting here thinking about burning music and had a thought. Is it true that if you wanted to make a high quality sound copy of a cd one should import with apple lossless and burn from that? Would the sound quality differ from a cd burned from...lets say.... 160kbs files? I ask because I've been importing cd's using Lossless, burning a copy, and then converting the music to aac in order to save drive space. Am I wasting my time with this method or am I thinking on the right track? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you are burning copies than import using WAV so you don't lose any quality, then convert to aac

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
If you are burning copies than import using WAV so you don't lose any quality, then convert to aac
Is WAV comparible to AIFF? What's the difference between the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
WAV and AIFF are basically the exact same thing. Reason I suggest using WAV instead of apple lossless is since you are converting it back to AAC anyways so there is no point in compressing it with Apple Lossless.

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
WAV and AIFF are basically the exact same thing. Reason I suggest using WAV instead of apple lossless is since you are converting it back to AAC anyways so there is no point in compressing it with Apple Lossless.
Thanks...I suppose that I will start using wav or aiff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To clarify what trpnmonkey41 said in #2, there is no quality difference between AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless, and the original CD. Lossless files are about 50-40% smaller than AIFF or WAV, but require more processing power to generate. Which means, importing will be slower.

As trpnmonkey41 said in #4, f you were keeping the files, Lossless would take up about half the space, but if you're re-compressing them down to AAC, then you might as well use AIFF or WAV as they will import faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.