PDA

View Full Version : about apple lossless....

b16crx69
05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I was just sitting here thinking about burning music and had a thought. Is it true that if you wanted to make a high quality sound copy of a cd one should import with apple lossless and burn from that? Would the sound quality differ from a cd burned from...lets say.... 160kbs files? I ask because I've been importing cd's using Lossless, burning a copy, and then converting the music to aac in order to save drive space. Am I wasting my time with this method or am I thinking on the right track? Thanks

trpnmonkey41
05-19-2005, 11:08 PM
If you are burning copies than import using WAV so you don't lose any quality, then convert to aac

b16crx69
05-19-2005, 11:13 PM
If you are burning copies than import using WAV so you don't lose any quality, then convert to aac
Is WAV comparible to AIFF? What's the difference between the two?

trpnmonkey41
05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
WAV and AIFF are basically the exact same thing. Reason I suggest using WAV instead of apple lossless is since you are converting it back to AAC anyways so there is no point in compressing it with Apple Lossless.

b16crx69
05-19-2005, 11:24 PM
WAV and AIFF are basically the exact same thing. Reason I suggest using WAV instead of apple lossless is since you are converting it back to AAC anyways so there is no point in compressing it with Apple Lossless.
Thanks...I suppose that I will start using wav or aiff.

technologist
05-20-2005, 03:02 AM
To clarify what trpnmonkey41 said in #2, there is no quality difference between AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless, and the original CD. Lossless files are about 50-40% smaller than AIFF or WAV, but require more processing power to generate. Which means, importing will be slower.

As trpnmonkey41 said in #4, f you were keeping the files, Lossless would take up about half the space, but if you're re-compressing them down to AAC, then you might as well use AIFF or WAV as they will import faster.