• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Kill IE6 - petition for UK users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There is now a petition online to persuade the UK government to switch Government departments away from Internet Explorer 6. As any web coder knows, IE6 is the biggest frustration on the web causing countless lost hours getting perfectly coded sites to work with this 9 year old browser.

Support this move if you are a UK resident by signing the petition, if government departments and the NHS upgrade, that would be even less market share for this broken insecure browser.

Petition to: encourage government departments to upgrade away from Internet Explorer 6. | Number10.gov.uk

Word is spreading, even the BBC has gone with the story :)

BBC News - Pressure mounts to phase out Internet Explorer 6

Reaction score
Um, I thought the UK had upgraded over the past few years?

I guess that isn't the case...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Signed. Be gone foul beast!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The article seems to suggest that this is a terribly difficult upgrade. I find that laughable. Any large organization should have some kind of management software to push patches and updates. If that's not true of the UK Government, you have bigger problems than IE6!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The article seems to suggest that this is a terribly difficult upgrade. I find that laughable. Any large organization should have some kind of management software to push patches and updates. If that's not true of the UK Government, you have bigger problems than IE6!

You don't know the half of it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.