Logic Express vs. GarageBand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
So I have a new macbook pro 17". I got it mainly for GarageBand but everyday am finding more and more things that I love about it and absolutely cannot live without. I was wondering if anyone can break down the benefits of Logic over GarageBand. I have read that it makes it easier but how? Any input is appreciated! :p $200 is a good chunk of dinero and Id like to get some input before I fork it out! :D

C

chas_m

You find $200 for pro-level software to be expensive? Really?

I'm not sure comparing GB and Logic is a good idea. GB is a consumer app aimed at helping amateurs develop songs, play and record instruments, and podcast. It's more powerful than people often give it credit for, but is also quite limited in some ways.

Logic Express is the next step up - aimed at people who are more serious about writing, recording and mixing music themselves. It's generally more/bigger/better and more focused on music alone.

There's a whole page about this that explains it better than I could, but you might want to start with this video.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
Yes Chas, I actually do really think that 200 bucks is a lot of money! Lucky for me, I have a friend that works at apple who got me 50% off. :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
To me, anything over $20 is expensive. Sure, $20 would be a heck of a bargain for, say, ProTools, but that's still a lot of money to me...and I have two jobs!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.