Is my new keyboard faulty?

B

badmojo

I just set up my new iMac G5 yesterday, and am using the standard k/b and mouse (for now). When I attempt to plug in a thumbdrive (USB 1.1) or a 7-in-1 card reader (also USB 1.1), I get an over-voltage error. The problem is intermittent, whereby sometimes it works fine and sometimes I get the error.

The iMac disables the port until I restart, but if I restart with the device in the k/b usb port, it works fine. I have the k/b plugged into the back of the computer and the mouse plugged into the k/b.

Has anyone else seen this problem? And do you think I have a faulty k/b? :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
well i had a similar problem with an older imac
becuase the thumbdrive doesnt have its own power source it has to draw power from somewhere else and the key board doesnt have enough power to run the thumbdrive.
Just use the actual computer ports or buy a USB hub.
My prob was in os9 but its prob the same thing

if u plug a printer or a scanner or sumthin with power into the k/b port it will be fine cuz it can run of its own power

hope this helps

OP
B

badmojo

It's a older "Cigar Pro" (Soyo) 128, and not very well constructed. I'm going to try a new one in hopes that the electronic guts are better. Thanks for the reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.