Game worked on BC partition but won't work on a virtual pc

Reaction score
I played Call of Duty 4 MW on a windows partition for a few weeks with now problems. When my partition was full i decided to remove it and play on a virtual pc using parallels. The game won't run now. It says my video card does not support a large enough 3d texture. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times and ran it in safe mode. I am using windows vista home premium.

why did it work on the partition and not on the virtual pc

I am using a macbook with the intel x3100 integrated graphics

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is normal. Games that need heavy 3D acceleration either don't run well or at all in virtualization, regardless of what the ads say.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because it's not running on the same hardware. When you run a VM, there's a layer of hardware abstraction, and in particular with the 3D hardware. In recent years, VM vendors like Parallels and VMWare have worked hard to develop their drivers to translate over to the GPU, but it's really hit or miss.

OP
K
Reaction score
so do i need to download a new driver or some sort of translator program, or is there no solution?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll want to reinstall Windows via Boot Camp and play your game that way. VMs are just not well suited to gaming, period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.