Incorrect parameter installing Windows XP

Reaction score
I have bee trying to install windows XP, and everything seems to be working fine up to the point where it installs, then restarts, and then when the installation is about to continue, a message appears that "D:\1386\asms" and that the parameter is incorrect. What does that mean? How can I finish installing it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears to be an error with the XP CD. Make sure the copy of XP you're using is compatible with Boot Camp. It should be either an OEM system builders full install copy of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3; MS boxed copy of XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3 full install.

Also read the following thread to see if it offers any help: LINK

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Apparently, the best way to do it is to copy the "I386\asms" directory into a cd and burn it, then put it in. Sounds simple enough, except that when I try copying the file, i get a error code - 36 that says the file cannot be read or written.

Not a very happy computer day

OP
H
Reaction score
I looked around other forums, and the error code - 36 problem seems to be quite common in Snow Leopard, but i have 10.5.8

And no matter what y try, nothing works

Reaction score
You mentioned in the other thread that you had a "company" disk - if this is a volume-licensed copy of XP it may not work. Even though it is a legal copy, Boot Camp is very picky about what it needs for an install - many volume-licensed disks are images that a company tweaks to fit their needs and some of the items may be specific to a company's environment.

For example, I encountered numerous errors trying to install my comapny's volume-licensed version of XP/SP2, but after I bought an OEM System Builder's version of it, it installed flawlessly the first time.

While it would be nice to get your free disk to work, the experience here on this forum is that probably less than half of those who use VL discs actually find that they work. you are probably better off buying a System Builder's OEM disk and using that.

I can't help you with the specific error unfortunately.

Good luck!

OP
H
Reaction score
In the end, after much mucking about, cursing, and being generally frustrated, I have come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle. It was an interesting experiment, if a failed one.
And really, I dont even need it that bad.
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I need to use bootcamp for some school functions on my new 21.5" imac. Any recommendations on the best and least expensive source for an MS XP OS?

Reaction score
A system builder OEM version of XP is the most cost-effective solution, IMO. Available on newegg.com normally for a pretty good price. Be wary of eBay sellers...

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.