Restoring Boot Camp data error using Winclone

Reaction score
I recently made my XP partition larger with Boot Camp Assistant, since I don't have either the XP or OS X (I am running 10.6.2) discs on me, I used Winclone to save my XP data, following these steps:

How to increase or decrease your Boot Camp partition - Dusty Reagan

However, when I try to restore it I get an error message telling me to check the log. The log is very long, but the part that I think shows the error is:

/usr/sbin/asr restore --noverify --puppetstrings -noprompt -erase --source "/Volumes/LaCie/Clone.winclone/Windows.dmg" --target "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2
XSTA start 139 client
XSTA setup
Validating target...done
XSTA metadata
Validating source...done
Repartitioning target device...done
Erasing target device /dev/disk0s3...done
Retrieving scan information...done
Validating sizes...
Not enough space on /dev/disk0s3 to restore
XSTA fail
return value of /usr/sbin/asr restore --noverify --puppetstrings -noprompt -erase --source "/Volumes/LaCie/Clone.winclone/Windows.dmg" --target "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2 is 256

/usr/sbin/asr restore --noverify --puppetstrings -noprompt -erase --source "/Volumes/LaCie/Clone.winclone/Windows.dmg" --target "/dev/disk0s3" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
cleaning up: Mounting Disk
Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount
Wed Jan 27 22:51:24 EST 2010

Any idea what I should do? I have tried pressing mount and then restore and just pressing restore several times in Winclone. Oddly, whenever I use Winclone, it makes the Boot Camp partition invisible (or at least it disappears from the desktop and the Finder sidebar), so since I don't know where it is, I just re-make it. What should I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what you can do. I wish you would have come here for advice first before using Winclone. The Winclone forum has many posts similar to yours where the image did not restore at all or restore properly.

Unless someone else has an idea what to do, I suggest you plan on reinstalling XP to your new Boot Camp partition and start over. In the future, if you have to increase the BC partition, use "CampTune" instead. It's a free utility from Paragon software which can non destructively increase or decrease a Boot Camp partition. Download from here.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.