Headache trying to figure out WMFusion, BootCamp & NVidia......

Reaction score
Hi All!

I just got my Mac yesterday, and I'm thoroughly abusing it =]

I've installed VMFusion on my MacBook Pro and put Windows 7 on it.

Then I installed Mass Effect 2 so I can play it. But everytime I double click on the Mass Effect exe it will just crash out right.

Now I've managed to google up a few things. I realise that my problem is that I'm running windows 7 via vmfusion and that causes issses. Because it doesn't recognise the graphics cards I have (9600m gt + 9400m - i think)

I've looked at bootcamp but no idea what it does actually.... Can somebody tell me how to solve this whole issue? What do I have to do to get Mass Effect 2 running properly? =[

ps: loving my mac so far!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Heavyweight games are never too happy in a Virtual Machine. No matter how optimised the VM Player (Fusion, Parallels, Virtual Box etc) you still have to reserve cpu/ram/gpu power to run OSX alongside windows. Not to mention that they aren't able to perform all the DirectX tricks that a dedicated 'real' install of winodws is capable of.

What I'd suggest doing is:
1. Delete your VMWFusion Windows 7 VM
2. use the Bootcamp assistant to create a bootcamp partition (more info here)
3. Install windows 7 on the bootcamp partition
4. Fire up VMW Fusion and it will detect your bootcamp partition and allow you to access it.

This way you'll be able to reboot into Windows 7 and get the full power of your Mac to play games but you'll also have access to Windows for everyday stuff using VMWFusion from within OSX.

If you only need Windows for gaming you can just do without VMWFusion and just use bootcamp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.