Serious image problems

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid problem, but anytime I go to copy and paste and image from one program to another (say iPhoto to Photoshop or Graphic Converter or Keynote) the image gets noticeably brighter and loses quality. Not a lot, but enough to make a definite difference (and enough for me to notice, since I'm an art historian who relies on the quality of my images for work). Using a Macbook Pro 2009, with 10.6.2 software. I've bashed my head against a number of places, but I haven't been able to figure out why. Any help?

Here's the samples (first is photoshop, second is graphic converter).

photoshopcomparison.jpg

photoshopcomparison on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

graphicconvertercomparison.jpg

graphicconvertercomparison on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I honestly don't know why you'd have the problem, but it sounds like it has something to do with color profiles being lost or changed between copies. Try checking your Photoshop and Graphic Converter settings; here's a brief article with some info about them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What is the DPI set at?

C

chas_m

Probably a Gamma issue.

Macs used to use 1.8 as the default gamma; PCs and web sites (which are obviously aimed mostly at Windows users) use 2.2. Your "system default" may still be set for 1.8 (a quick trip through the calibration part of "displays" will tell you) while Photoshop et al may be using 2.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.