• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Forum Software

Reaction score
I'm wondering how the various forum software packages stack up against one another. There are a bunch of them out there and it is difficult to compare them, they don't install/test easily. Are there any written reviews available?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, did you search for reviews, or are you just hoping someone who just did that will read this?

There are some really backwards ones out there. (Go over to the "new" Cnet Mac Forum, for one!) The basic functions are so similar on most that the only things separating them are small features. IMO FWIW

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, did you search for reviews, or are you just hoping someone who just did that will read this?

There are some really backwards ones out there. (Go over to the "new" Cnet Mac Forum, for one!) The basic functions are so similar on most that the only things separating them are small features. IMO FWIW

I was hoping that someone who had actually administered forums would have some feedback on why they chose what they did. This is very different from online reviews that give superficial feedback based on a half hour of exposure. And it is very different from someone who has merely subscribed to a forum and made a few casual observations about how it feels from a subscriber's perspective compared to others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
SMF is very simple and fast loading. I really like it, but it can be a little bit of a hassle if you want custom mods for it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What kind of features are you looking for? What kind of customizability are you looking to have? How many people (figuratively) are you looking to support? Sorry for answering with questions but it will help to have a better sense of what you'll be doing.

OP
M
Reaction score
What kind of features are you looking for? What kind of customizability are you looking to have? How many people (figuratively) are you looking to support? Sorry for answering with questions but it will help to have a better sense of what you'll be doing.

My plan is to use the forum to help support a web app. Users could post questions about how to use the app, how to interpret results, suggest improvements, etc. It won't be a large community, especially at first and I don't expect nor want a lot of complexity - it will need to be fairly easy to maintain. Of the forums I use I think most all of them have features I need with no glaring omissions, so ease of administration will be a key point.

I'm presently learning PHP so one of the PHP-based forums may be a choice.

Other than that, not having administered a forum before, I can't add much.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've set up my forum on SMF. Install went well and it seems like a pretty good package. I'll report back on any further pluses or minuses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.