Big problems setting up HP 2600n printer... Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I thought this would be simple, an HP printer that is network ready. My son gave it to me, it's maybe 18 months old. Prints via USB OK but I think I have too many USB devices already and it takes a while (almost two minutes) before it actually prints. But I wanted it specifically for the network hookup. It's connected to my LinkSys 5-port switch which is connected to my Airport extreme. When I go to print, it makes a lot of noises like its going to print but it doesn't and it doesn't show an error either.

I thought it might be firmware related but when I tried to download and install the firmware update, a popup says the firmware updater only works with OS 10.4 and older, yet on the printer status report it shows an older firmware version than is available.

I've tried numerous things... still can only get it to print via USB on my iMac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you actually been out to HP's site to get the latest driver package?

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup... even downloaded the latest HP updater. I honestly think its something to do with the firmware because I googled that to death and there were loads of comments about the firmware and the specific printer but all before Snow Leopard.

BTW, nice 'stang... is it a GT500?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be right. Does the printer have any kind of LCD panel where you can go through menus? Sometimes they actually support Bonjour (my HP does) and if it's enabled, it will be a much easier setup.

Actually, that's a picture of the recently announced Shelby GT350, based on the 2011 Mustang with the new "Coyote" 5.0L. Unlike the GT500, it's actually being sold by Shelby himself as a package on top of a Mustang GT.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1003_2011_ford_shelby_gt350/index.html

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I wound up downloading the firmware and installing it on the printer via my PC and USB connection so that helped as it now has the latest & greatest HP firmware. Then I used the printer's menu to manually config the IP and ID'd the printer via IP from the Airport Extreme/Switch. Took a few minutes to make sure I had the right driver, and then BAM! It finally printed.

That Shelby is sweet. Have some friends who have GTs and GT 500's. I also like the Whipple! Nicer than the Eaton on my Lightning, but my truck is modded and keeps me happy right now. LOL So what's your ride?

Thanks for giving me some ideas on debugging the network printing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I wound up downloading the firmware and installing it on the printer via my PC and USB connection so that helped as it now has the latest & greatest HP firmware. Then I used the printer's menu to manually config the IP and ID'd the printer via IP from the Airport Extreme/Switch. Took a few minutes to make sure I had the right driver, and then BAM! It finally printed.

That Shelby is sweet. Have some friends who have GTs and GT 500's. I also like the Whipple! Nicer than the Eaton on my Lightning, but my truck is modded and keeps me happy right now. LOL So what's your ride?

Thanks for giving me some ideas on debugging the network printing.

No problem, glad you got it working. It's really nice when the printers support Bonjour because they basically just show up in the Printer browser list and connect just by double-clicking. I have an OfficeJet C6350 with wireless and I still can't get over how quickly it connected. I think we've talked about networked printers before and if you'll recall, I had a horrible time with older printers that didn't have integrated networking.

I am almost embarrassed to say it, but I drive a 2007 Accord V6 sedan. Unfortunately, I need a big back seat to house two car seats and my wife (who wears the pants) won't let me have but one car :D

I've always been a Mustang fan ever since I built my first model of a '65 289 fastback, but have never owned one. The closest I ever got was a couple of Ford Probes back in my teen and twenties (I had an '89 and a '95), but that wasn't exactly the same type of thing :) Needless to say that's my dream car, but by the time I get to own one, it will be a classic I think... LOL.

I take it your F-150 is a Lightning (and sorry to get so OT). It looks great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.