Don't let people play with your itunes...

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm newish to mac and I have a question about itunes. I have a 16g itouch and I had my whole itunes library set up perfectly, meaning I had checked all the songs i wanted and unchecked the ones I didnt, and my girlfriends sister did something and now every song in my 30 gig library is selected and needless to say I'm not impressed. My ipod is still full with all the songs I had checked, is there any way to have itunes recognize what songs I have on my ipod and just select those ones in itunes?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iTunes is the managing authority, so since it's the once syncing to the iTouch, only it knows what files to sync. The iTouch just gets the files. You can, painfully however, take a look at the list of songs on the iTouch and manually deselect the ones that aren't sync'ed..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
and then dont let the young lady touch your computer.......

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeppers. I don't even let my wife touch the keyboard/mouse while logged into my user on my primary machine.

She has this habit of screwing a computer up faster than you can shake your head no.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There is no such thing as an "iTouch." >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Might be better to rename this post 'Don't let people play with your Mac period'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
This is why I bought my wife her very own Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
that's a easy fix...try getting 54 gigs off a corrupt ipod on a HP hotplate (my old PC that would just get real hot and turn off right in the middle of sync) thank god for this macbook. you should set up another account for your gf so that when her sister comes over you wouldn't have to worry about anything. Better yet do as I do. Do Not Let Anyone Put Their Finger Licking paws on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This is a bit of a 'close the gate after the horse has bolted' kind of thing but if you created a playlist of tracks you wanted on your iPod and just synced that playlist (or multiple playlists if you like) with your iPod it doesn't matter if the tracks are all selected in the library.

To help with getting back the songs into a playlist . . . . add all songs onto an on-the-go-playlist on your iPod then sync with iTunes.

You should now have the same on-the-go playlist in iTunes as you just created on your ipod. Create a new playlist, drag all tracks from the o-t-g playlist into your new playlist and set your iPod to sync with just that new playlist. I've found O-T-G playlists are easy to change and lose so that's why I suggest moving your track choices to a new playlist.

I'm sure I'm making this sound more complicated than it really is but that should do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.