Wifi Dilema

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ok, I have a home wireless network that is transmitted at "g." I have a new 17" PB with Airport Express installed. We also recently got a used 15" PB at 500 Mhz. The 15" does not currently have airport installed. Here's my dilema:

Should I get the original airport card that only transmits at "b," and if I do get that, can I install it myself, and do I need a special adapter or something?

or

Should I just get an external "g" card that plugs into the PC slot? If I go with that, are they all compatible with mac? What would be a good, cheap, and mac compatible "g" card?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
rs2sensen said:
Ok, I have a home wireless network that is transmitted at "g." I have a new 17" PB with Airport Express installed. We also recently got a used 15" PB at 500 Mhz. The 15" does not currently have airport installed. Here's my dilema:

Should I get the original airport card that only transmits at "b," and if I do get that, can I install it myself, and do I need a special adapter or something?

or

Should I just get an external "g" card that plugs into the PC slot? If I go with that, are they all compatible with mac? What would be a good, cheap, and mac compatible "g" card?

Thanks!

I suppose it would depend on what type of info you are transferring on the network and how frequently you do so. I personally don't use my home network for much more than iTunes library sharing, and sending word docs. So if I were in your position, the original AirPort and 'b' would be plenty fast, so I would go that route (especially since it is internal and out-of-sight). However, if you frequently share large files, the external 'g' may work better for you. Regarding the installation of the card, I only know for G3 ibooks, but I imagine the PB can't be much different. IF that is the case no 'specialty' tools are required other than maybe a size 0 phillips screwdriver. Other than that the card just slides in like with the new Extream versions (only about twice the size).

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
but I wasn't sure abt. the 32-Bit part. I know it's Type I and II on the 500Mhz PB. I'd think it would work ok, it is the one on Apple's website.

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have the Belkin pci card, which work well with mt TI PowerBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.