27" iMac Windows 7 Install Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Antiglare MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Core i7 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
27" iMac Windows 7 Install Problem DIFFERENT from the blank/black screen issue!

So I have tried to install Windows 7 on my iMac multiple times now since the fix for the black/blank screen problem came out. I get Windows 7 fully installed, enter in a user name and all that stuff, then it restarts again, but when it restarts all I get is a black screen with a flashing white underscore. For some reason Windows 7 just will not boot after it's fully installed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if the following thread offers any help.

You might also do a search in the Apple users forums. Lots of posts on the same subject. LINK

Regards.

OP
foxy32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replay but that is not the problem I am having. I don't get a blank screen when I try to boot into windows 7, I just get a blinking white underscore. It won't even start the process of booting into windows 7, its as if it can't find the installation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Understand your problem is not the same. Have you tried to boot Win 7 in SAFE mode? Reboot while holding down the F8 key. Let us know if that is successful.

It appears Win 7 installs OK but you can get it started. (Won't boot.) If it's driver related, booting to SAFE mode should work.

Regards.

OP
foxy32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gave that a try, no go. I don't think it even boots far enough to get into safe mode. My suspicion is that there is something wrong with the boot record for the windows side, or something like that. But I'm unsure of how to fix this issue.

Reaction score
the problem was I was too sure about what I was doing.

:$
First time, I failed installing Windows 7 on Imac 27 inch computer.

I thought IMAC 27 inch computer is the problem.

I was too sure about what I was doing. I have done too many times to other models.

I found this solution by doing these steps;

1. Click all new apple updates and install them all.
it takes three times reboot and one hour operation.

2. Click Boot camp and install windows Vista first.

3. you don't have to register to Microsoft. You have 30 days to register it.

4. Do not use Snow Leopard CD to install drivers on Vista. It looks like outdated. Because, I bought it yesterday and I have the newest model.
No drivers was found from Snow Lepard CD.
Do Not install the Video driver. If you accidently installed the video driver, go to
Safe Mode and remove the video driver.

5. Just install the wireless driver from original CD.

6. Go to apple.com and download Bootcamp 3.1 for 32 bit or 64bit whichever you have.

7. Install Bootcamp 3.1. and wait for 20 minutes.

8. After reboot, install windows 7 and click UPGRADE instead of full installation.

9. Wait about 30 minutes and done.

10. Click Apple updates and it will update all drivers for windows 7 again.

Next time, I will try without installing Vista.

OP
foxy32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanx for the reply, I figured out what my problem was.

When I installed Windows 7, I ran boot camp assistant but when the iMac rebooted it ejected the disc and started booting into OS X. So i decided to force it to boot into the windows 7 disc by holding down the option key and re-inserting the windows 7 disc and telling it to boot from that. This caused boot camp to not install the proper boot files.

Apparently the whole reason my iMac was ejecting the disc at boot and going into OS X was because I had my Wacom tablet plugged in! So I unplugged the Wacom tablet and reinstalled Windows 7 earlier today and all is working perfectly now! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently the whole reason my iMac was ejecting the disc at boot and going into OS X was because I had my Wacom tablet plugged in! So I unplugged the Wacom tablet and reinstalled Windows 7 earlier today and all is working perfectly now!

Great to hear! Thanks for posting back. Have fun.

Regards.

Reaction score
Wacom Tablet installed on Windows 7 / iMac?

thanx for the reply, I figured out what my problem was.

When I installed Windows 7, I ran boot camp assistant but when the iMac rebooted it ejected the disc and started booting into OS X. So i decided to force it to boot into the windows 7 disc by holding down the option key and re-inserting the windows 7 disc and telling it to boot from that. This caused boot camp to not install the proper boot files.

Apparently the whole reason my iMac was ejecting the disc at boot and going into OS X was because I had my Wacom tablet plugged in! So I unplugged the Wacom tablet and reinstalled Windows 7 earlier today and all is working perfectly now! :)

The Wacom Tablet has not given me any troubles installing Windows 7, but I am having troubles installing the drivers for the tables on Windows 7 on my iMac. The tablet does not seem to get found by the driver. Reinstalling the driver gives a 'Macromedia Projector' error...
Foxy32, have you been able to get your Wacom tablet working on the iMac?
Curiously, I had none of these problems when installing on a MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.