Virus monkeys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Does anybody use a virus checker on their mac? i have one on my pc and its running all the time an i get viruses ALL THE TIME i hear viruses arent a threat on the mac as there arent any? Just wanted to check up :)

MAny THanks

:)
RiverCottage

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
i have not used one in years. Also I tend not to download much, from the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
only necessary if you are networked with a pc...this just prevents you from sending a virus over to your pc...to the best of my knowlege you can get pc virus on your mac but it cant actually do anything because....well...because your on a mac

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Remember that because the virus won't work on your Mac, the only way it will propagate to a PC is if you send it manually. As most people don't randomly forward suspicious email attachments, I'd say a virus checker on the Mac is currently a waste of money and processor cycles.

Part of the Mac's success in this area is down to its relative lack of popularity. Ironic. If Macs ever reach >10% market share then maybe we'll have to worry about viruses!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Thanks for that guys :) I wont both letting uncle Norton and he's utilities near my mac :)

E

EvoMac

Mac's lack the one thing that spyware & virus's like most... a "secure" registry :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
rivercottage said:
Thanks for that guys :) I wont both letting uncle Norton and he's utilities near my mac :)
I use intego virus barrier, only because I have to send files to wintel machines sometimes. but norton is the worst thing you can put on your mac, its not safe,
and damages your mac more than any virus ever could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
i have found viruses on my macs i dont remember what the name was but it was send to me from someone on aol i did a search of my hd w/virex and i found it in like 5 different files

i have found that myth of no mac viruses faulse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
those are windows viruses, virex also looks for them, so you dont spread any, there are none for mac os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
i am running os 9.1 and there are many for that because of the commonality to 7 and such when mac was popular the last time

M

menace3054

Macman said:
I use intego virus barrier, only because I have to send files to wintel machines sometimes. but norton is the worst thing you can put on your mac, its not safe,
and damages your mac more than any virus ever could.

after you mentioned that, i went ahead and bought a license from them. i was using norton before, and it really did slow my machine down. so even if the intego program isnt running, the computer is still protected from viruses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you set it to scan mode in the preferences, it should automatically check everything you download. you download anything, it opens for a second or 2, and closes, unless it finds something. you should really read the manual if you can, it really has a lot of good info in it.

Reaction score
EvoMac said:
Mac's lack the one thing that spyware & virus's like most... a "secure" registry :mac:

lol. yes, because on windows viruses just attack and destroy the registry... Plus if there was a major mac virus, it would be kind of hard to infect people just because you need an admin password for everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.