Bootcamp vs. Virtualbox

Reaction score
I currently run an authentic Windows XP on my Macbook (2.16GHz Intel COre 2 Duo, 2GB ram, OS 10.6.2) using virtualbox. I'm wondering if there are any benefits to using bootcamp instead? I have a 500gb hd and I'm currently only using about 75gb of it, so to partition part of my harddrive is not an issue. I realize that by using virtualbox you can run windows as virtualPC but I've noticed that in order for windows to run properly, I need to allocate so much memory to XP that it makes OSX almost unuseable and I really have no need to run both. I've also found that many of the features of virtualbox require coding and such that is wayy over my head. So I'm thinking about making the switch to bootcamp, anybody think that it's worth it?

The real reason I'm hoping the switch is to be able to use the full capabilities of my macbook towards windows. I want to try to run CATIA V5 using bootcamp. Anybody have any experience using it?

Also, as I said the version of XP I'm using is authentic and legitimate. I'm curious if there is a way to take the version of XP i have off of my virtualPC and use it on bootcamp? Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm quite unexperienced with that kind of stuff and any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've installed CATIA v5 on just about everything Unix and Windows. It should work fine via Bootcamp. Make sure you check the recommended drivers for your video card to make sure they are supported. You will probably want to upgrade your RAM to 4GB if you are doing any DMU, Structure Studies or FIT analysis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.