I would like to build an Iphone application User interface Only?

Reaction score
Before, You read further please not, I am enquiring bout building an iPhone app Interface only! Not the actual application. As part of my final Year project I am building the interface for an iPhone application for my university. Without any technical Skills I would like to build an interface only, where I can design the icons, Menus, Screens etc. I did my research and found Apple offer a special software called interface builder however that is only available for MAC and not windows. Could anyone please recomend me an article, or even better an actual software program, willing to pay a few bucks for it, which Would allow me to create an interface for a mobile phone but with the Iphone Template. Your help, would be much appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The only official development tools for the iPhone are only available for OS X. So, if you do find anything for another platform (including Windows), they will be unofficial tools and may not work exactly like Interface Builder does.

Surely your school has Macs that you can use if you have to develop an iPhone app for a school project.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Well actually Surprisingly we dont have any Macs at university, even though its a multi million pound funded University. I guess the project was my own idea, as its a final year project, so you are supposed to arrange your own resources to actually build the software application. Just on your quick note, would you be able to recommend me any unofficial tools to build my desired project? It would still be better than nothing..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
If this is a purely hypothetical interface and you only have access to Windows computers, have you considered using solely an image editor for Windows, like the GIMP, Paint.NET, or Photoshop?

OP
S
Reaction score
But these image editors wouldn't allow me to use menu navigation would they? I mean clicking a button to move to another menu etc. I have considered something like power point, sideshows where I can build the interface within the Iphone template and link the buttons to other slides, However thats something I could have done back in 9th Grade, this is a much more sophisticated project. So an interface builder tool would be very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, as vansmith mentioned, the only true solution is Interface Builder. What exactly is the goal of this final project? Is it to demonstrate UI design?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you specifically need it to be for an iPhone application? There are programs for making other software interfaces available on Windows. If you want to stick with cell phones, I found a Google Android interface builder of sorts with a Google search. It doesn't look nearly as intuitive as Apple's Interface Builder, but it will at least work for you. If you're not committed to a cell phone interface, how about trying something like Qt Creator or Microsoft Visual Studio. I believe both include sections to create interfaces (and truthfully, some cell phones do use Qt interfaces).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are not tied to the iPhone (which I am 99% sure is the case), I highly suggest something more Windows centric such as .NET/Visual Studio. There is no point trying to get unofficial tools to work (if you can even find them) just to be disappointed in their lack of power compared to the official tools. My suggestion would be to explore all of your options - you really don't want to be using unofficial or inappropriate tools for a university level final year project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.