windows vista on a 27" iMac already partitioned

Reaction score
hello guys, I'm new here.
I'd like to install windows Vista (license owned) on my iMac 27" to play GTA IV.
The point is: boot camp assistant doesn't work cause as soon as I open it I get the message:
impossible to start up bootcamp, primary disk already partitioned.
which is true, though partitioned in two HFS+ Parts.
So, what can I do now?
how can I install windows Vista without having the drivers cd I could creat with boot camp for stuff like wireless, vga?
for example... I have both mighty mouse and keyboard connected via bluetooth, how am I supposed to get through the installing process if the doesn't recognizes them during the setup?
thanks in advance.

Simo, IT

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp will not partition a disk unless it's one complete contiguous space. In other words, has not been partitioned.

Your choice is either to remove the second HFS+ partition and merge it with the first, or to use an EFI boot loader to try to install Vista on third partition created with Disk Utility.

Post back what you want to do.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Boot Camp will not partition a disk unless it's one complete contiguous space. In other words, has not been partitioned.

Your choice is either to remove the second HFS+ partition and merge it with the first, or to use an EFI boot loader to try to install Vista on third partition created with Disk Utility.

Post back what you want to do.

Regards.

merging the partitions would be such a mess, actually, cause one is dedicated to logic's recording files... which is my job, actually, even if I'm still a student.
So i Wish I could avoid risking damage to those files, and yes, I thought about EFI.
somebody already told me about that.
but what about drivers? I mean . . . what will I have LESS installing windows normally and not through bootcamp?
I hope my doubts are clear, and I sincerely thank you for your help.
best reguards.

Simo,IT

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't have a problem with drivers once you get Windows installed via an EFI boot loader like "rEFIt".

Once Windows boots and is up and running, just pop in your Snow Leopard DVD, open "My Computer" navigate to the DVD and double click "setup.exe". That will start the auto installation of drivers for your machine.

Some advice: If there is any way you can merge those two partitions together (perhaps by storing your recording files to an external drive) that's what I would do. There is always some risk involved using an EFI boot loader with multiple partitions.

In any event whatever you decide, make certain you have a verifiable backup that you can use. Preferably a bootable clone type using something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Regards.

Reaction score
I thought you needed more than a boot loader to run Windows in an EFI environment ... but I am certainly no expert.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought you needed more than a boot loader to run Windows in an EFI environment ... but I am certainly no expert.

No. rEFIt can do it. But you must first accomplish the partitioning using Disk Utility. I don't ordinarily recommend using rEFIt unless you wish to triple boot or in the OP's situation have more than one partition already existing.

It's an ideal solution for those daring users who wish to triple boot OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem with drivers once you get Windows installed via an EFI boot loader like "rEFIt".

Once Windows boots and is up and running, just pop in your Snow Leopard DVD, open "My Computer" navigate to the DVD and double click "setup.exe". That will start the auto installation of drivers for your machine.

Some advice: If there is any way you can merge those two partitions together (perhaps by storing your recording files to an external drive) that's what I would do. There is always some risk involved using an EFI boot loader with multiple partitions.

In any event whatever you decide, make certain you have a verifiable backup that you can use. Preferably a bootable clone type using something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Regards.

I'm very grateful for the good advices : )
so, seems like EFI booting is on the way to my mac : )
do you think a time machine backup would do?
tnx

Simo, IT

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm very grateful for the good advices : )
so, seems like EFI booting is on the way to my mac : )
do you think a time machine backup would do?

By all means use Time Machine since it came with your system. However, as I stated above, a backup clone is always better because you can boot from it.
You can't boot from a Time Machine backup.

SuperDuper is shareware and Carbon Copy Cloner is donation ware. Your choice as both programs are excellent.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Everything was done with success:
bootable backup with carbon copy cloner, rEFIt boot loader, new NTFS partition.... and Vista sucessfully installed on it! that's great!
I'm now facing the most stupid problem I could ever had:S
When buying mac I move from another room... and in the mess I think I've lost Snow Leopard recovery DVDs... cause I really can't find them.
I'm an idiot. what can I do now???
everything works great...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if you lost your Snow Leopard recovery DVD set, then your only choice is to either contact Apple and ask them to send a replacement set (nominal cost) or your could purchase a retail Snow Leopard DVD for $29.99. However, the retail Snow Leopard DVD for $29.99 is not going to have iLIfe and other software that came with your original set. Best to call Apple and order a replacement set.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.