PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE: TNSALE scammers and spammers

bobtomay
01-15-2010, 08:03 AM
These guys are hitting us and many other forums with up to 20 separate user signups and up to 400 posts a day.

Members, please:

Do not click on the links in these spammers ads, they are scammers. You will lose your money.

Do not post a comment in their threads.

Do click on the report post button (the one with the exclamation point) so that we can delete them. You only need to report a user name one time, not every one of the posts you find.

To TNSALE: Although I do not own any weapons myself, I do live in Texas and have a whole ton of friends with shotguns.

cwa107
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Great post, bobtomay. These guys would not be hitting us this hard if they weren't getting something out of it.

It's imperative that you not click any of their links or even browse their site. If they see increased traffic that is routed from Mac-Forums, that just gives them more reason to dump here.

iggibar
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for posting this. I bet most new people on the forum think that the advertising are legit though. I almost did, but cwa107 pointed me in the right direction :)

Kevriano
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Never even looked at one, because when there are so many you kind of know, but nice post. Educate the masses.

cwa107
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
This guy is one persistent bugger. If you could see the amount of effort we've put in to try to shut him out, you'd be amazed.

I agree with bobtomay, but I'd take it a step farther and carpet bomb the city this guy lives in. ;)

bobtomay
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Well, I know one guy with a tank.

vansmith
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
To TNSALE: Although I do not own any weapons myself, I do live in Texas and have a whole ton of friends with shotguns.

I agree with bobtomay, but I'd take it a step farther and carpet bomb the city this guy lives in. ;)

Well, I know one guy with a tank.

Remind me not to get on your bad side gentlemen. ;)

So I assume this is the same group that is the cause of 50% of my new posts to be the same guy (not so far to day though).

Kevriano
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
I LOVE the smell of Napalm in the morning..........

CrimsonRequiem
01-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Where is that Mac Forums clone site with all the spam advertisements? They should go there...>_>"

dtravis7
01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Where is that Mac Forums clone site with all the spam advertisements? They should go there...>_>"

I sure wish they would!! :D

That site would welcome them with open arms.

Slydude
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
@Bob Don't you know you are not allowed to live in the Lone Star State without owning at least one firearm. lol

FasterPussyCat
01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
@Bob Don't you know you are not allowed to live in the Lone Star State without owning at least one firearm. lol

Unless in Austin :Cool:

Eric559
01-16-2010, 02:08 AM
What is the website doing to prevent spam and spambots?

CrimsonRequiem
01-16-2010, 02:57 AM
They are at it again. >_> They sure don't give up.

cwa107
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
What is the website doing to prevent spam and spambots?

I'd rather not get into the details here, lest we give them some idea of what to do to thwart what we already have in place.

Eric559
01-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I'd rather not get into the details here, lest we give them some idea of what to do to thwart what we already have in place.

That is completely understandable.

As long as something is being done! :)

bobtomay
01-17-2010, 10:02 AM
After taking Saturday off - that's what they do each week, they are back today - so just a heads up for those that have not seen this thread yet.

clayneal
01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
After taking Saturday off - that's what they do each week, they are back today - so just a heads up for those that have not seen this thread yet.

Its getting to the point that I dont even notice them any longer.

Clay

JohnCL
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
These posts annoy the crap out of me! There are mornings that I come on and this is all that I see. I have reported a few in my time here.

Is there not a way to prevent new users from posting for say 24 hours or something? If they were not able to post right away would they really stay around?

Raz0rEdge
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
These posts annoy the crap out of me! There are mornings that I come on and this is all that I see. I have reported a few in my time here.

Is there not a way to prevent new users from posting for say 24 hours or something? If they were not able to post right away would they really stay around?

The delay will definitely help, but the downside is that a lot of new Mac owners will have to wait and can't get the immediate help that they might need..

No real way around spammers..they always try to find a way to get through..

Regards

clayneal
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
We just have to take it as the complment that it is.... If this wasn't such a great forum they wouldn't bother !

Clay

cwa107
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Rest assured, we're working on it. If you think seeing the ads is annoying, imagine being the one that has to clean up after them.

JohnCL
01-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Rest assured, we're working on it. If you think seeing the ads is annoying, imagine being the one that has to clean up after them.

Oh, I know that we have the easy part of reporting it to you. Kudos to you for the great job on the cleanup. I have noticed that after I report one they are always gone in a matter of minutes.

You guys do good work here.

bobtomay
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Those who have not seen this, please read first post.

hughvane
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Without going anywhere near the site itself, this may make interesting reading for those who've contributed to this thread Tnsale.com Tnsale - Whois Lookup, IP and domain Whois information (http://www.myiptest.com/staticpages/index.php/whois/tnsale.com). So, Tom, unfortunately, all your friends in Texas will have to travel to China to deal with these tnsale marauders. :(

bobtomay
01-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I know. Just givin' 'em fair warning.

bobtomay
01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Just a bump for those that have not seen this thread.

There have been 11 usernames used so far this morning by this spammer.

edit: make that 14

edit: make that 16

edit: up to 20 now