• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How To Say 'Thank you'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
This year, my aunt and uncle sent me a check for Christmas, along with a note. The note said that they was sorry the check couldn't be more, and that with the economy being so bad they are just squeaking by.

Now I know this is partially true, and I'm not scoffing at her gift at all. So don't get me wrong. My question is, how would you word a thank-you that genuinely expresses your gratitude for the gift, as well as their sacrifice? I don't want to give some smarmy thank-you, because I really am grateful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well if it was me i would go over there in person (if their close enough) and hand them the check back saying Thank you very much but i dont need the money and it would go to better use if you kept it ..???
IMO anyways, that is what i would do :)

Lovely Aunt to give you the check in such dire times

Cheers

Reaction score
If it was me i'd take a picture of me doing/using/holding whatever it is that the extra money helped me to buy (even indirectly, sometimes a little extra money means you can do something simple like pay a bill without worrying). Then send the picture, to show that the money (no matter what size) was really helpful.

But then i'm a bit odd and get over enthusiastic sometimes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
If you can, thank them in person. If not, write them a long note about how much you appreciate their thoughtfulness in such tough economic times. I would hand write it because it seems more thoughtful to me. You can write about how much that extra money will help you out. Lastly, mention how you completely understand the rough economy and realize that many are struggling in these times. Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mis-post...please delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wouldn't give it back. They wanted to give you something. The photo idea is great!

Just write a nice note in a humble "voice". It's the thought that counts, not the eloquence. Share the note with a friend before you send it if you're worried that it's sappy or could somehow be misinterpreted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree that you shouldn't give it back. If they really needed the money, they would have kept it. Obviously, it meant more to them to give you something (regardless of how "insignificant" it might have been) which speaks volumes about how much you mean to them. Accept it gracefully. If you return it, you'll look ungrateful and inconsiderate of the idea that they wanted to give you something. Think about it this way: If you had very little, spent what you could to give them something and they returned it. How would you feel? Regardless of the circumstance (in this case, trying to justify it as being kind) it still seems insincere. If you really want to feel better about it, use the money for something that has meaning or can be useful. Don't spend it on something superficial or flashy. Use it for something that will be beneficial for your well being so that those who gave it to you can feel good about trying to help.

I don't agree that the picture is a good idea though. A simple note expressing your appreciation should suffice. Anything too "fancy" will seem artificial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.