Unix Newb with a question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
I have a question. I was reading the Unix Book from OSU, and i was playing around using the ls command. kind of working my way through and learning at the same time. here is what i did, and is it necessary? i typed exit when i was done. this cause the pdf version of teh Unix book to respond very slow. then, i had to press and hold the power button to get it to shut off after i got acrobat reader to close. so, again, the question is, do i need o type exit when closing terminal, and did i cause the slowness by typing terminal.

Reaction score
Dont know what caused the slowdown but, no, it's not nessesary to type exit before you quit Terminal. The only time you need to type exit is when you use the su command, to get out of being root; or if you start a sub-shell, to quit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Correct you do not need to type exit as posted above. But it makes a good habit and is harmless. It did not in any cause that slow down. When you see that, type top. In the resulting list, seek out process that's hogging the CPU. If you see that it is not risky to kill it, (If possible, expose to the app and close it, try option + Apple +esc to force quit it. Otherwise, type kill (PID) where (PID) is the process ID number. ex: kill XXXX. kill XXXX -9 is absolute in case the first does not work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.