Need some help for my son re remote pc

Reaction score
Hi I’m not really tech savvy but I really need some help. I recently got divorced, I have a 6 year old boy how is having a hard time in school, and is three hours away. My goal is to remotely control a pc in his room w/ 2web cams if possible. One on my son, and the other looking over his homework. My hope is to help him via Internet with his homework. Much like I chat except I would be able to remotely use his computer. Is this possible? How is it done I have a Mac book and was thinking of getting him a cheap pc would that still be compatible? I really appreciate anyone’s help

OP
A
Reaction score
need some help for my son re remote pc

Hi I’m not really tech savvy but I really need some help. I recently got divorced, I have a 6 year old boy how is having a hard time in school, and is three hours away. My goal is to remotely control a pc in his room w/ 2web cams if possible. One on my son, and the other looking over his homework. My hope is to help him via Internet with his homework. Much like I chat except I would be able to remotely use his computer. Is this possible? How is it done I have a Mac book and was thinking of getting him a cheap pc would that still be compatible? I really appreciate anyone’s help

OP
A
Reaction score
need some help for my son re remote pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Off the top of my head I do not know about any app that supports dual web cams. My solution would be to have two IM windows open with separate accounts and connect that way. Then you can you a VNC server/client combo to remote control his computer while both of you can control and make changes to the remote computer in real time.

Mac to PC - Use "Chicken of the VNC"
Mac to Mac - Use "Screen Sharing" default on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In fact if you set up your son with Team Viewer that way it will not matter if he is on a PC or a Mac. You can use Team Viewer to see his screen and iChat for audio perhaps video depending on your/sons ISP but 2 video feeds and screen share seems a tall ask. What you could do if you choose iChat is to sets sons iChat to video Preview then using that with Team Viewer would mean you would have a smaller window showing him but you would really need at least a 17' screen his end i would think. Team Viewer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Same post in 3 places - please check forum rules.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please in the future do not crosspost the same post in 3 threads. Just one thread per post/topic. Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Collin, thanks for the link to Team Viewer. I hadn't heard of that program. It looks interesting. I may have to give this a try and pass the information on to the tech coordinator at my school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.