Busted graphics card. I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x Quad Core 2.8 Harpertown, 2GB Ram, 320GB, Radeon 2600XT, 20" Apple Cinema Display
A couple weeks ago I started having a problem where my display wouldn't turn on when I woke my computer up from sleep, and it gradually got to a point where it won't turn on period. I hooked up another monitor just to make sure it wasn't my display and it didn't work either so I have to assume it's the graphics card. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty (it was an applecare replacement so they wouldn't let me put applecare on this machine)

So anyway, due to budget restraints I'm not necessarily looking for an upgrade, I just want to get my computer going again. It's a late '08 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 and came with a Radeon HD2600XT. So my question is this: Do I have to specifically get the Mac version for these cards? I've done some research and it seems like there are a bunch of companies pumping out "Radeon HD2600XT"s that are waaay cheaper than the Mac branded one -$100 vs $250. I'd rather get a Mac one but it's not worth it another one will work.

On that note, if anyone has any used card that will work for me please let me know.

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is it possible that the cable connecting your Mac to the monitor is bad? Also, do you have two monitors connected to the card? If so try running with just one "known good" screen attached. I have an NVIDIA card that I think is starting to fail. It will drive one monitor fine but has problems when two screens are connected.

Also The PC versions of the card that you are seeing do not work on a Mac. The firmware is different. The only way these cards generally work on the Mac is if you can find a utility to flash the firmware on the card to the Mac firmware. I've seen some reports of this working with some cards but I believe that if the process fails there is a good chance it will "brick" the card.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x Quad Core 2.8 Harpertown, 2GB Ram, 320GB, Radeon 2600XT, 20" Apple Cinema Display
I don't think it's the cable because I hooked up another non-mac monitor (by itself) with its own cable and that didn't work either. I'm pretty sure that monitor is good, it worked last time I used it. So I'm thinking it's probably the card, unless something else could be causing problems that I don't know about.

And thanks for the advice on the PC cards. I almost wanted to try getting one and seeing what happens but I don't feel like putting up with the headache. I just hate that mac stuff is almost TRIPLE! And even when you find them used they're barely cheaper than new ones from apple. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal I guess. Until then no computer...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something like the ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter might be a good temporary solution until you find an appropriate replacement card. It would allow you to run a monitor connected to the USB port rather than the graphics card. I think it is down to about $65.00 since I did the review.

There is one caveat with this device and probably others like it. It does not fully support Open GL. This limitation can rear its ugly head at unexpected times. iPhoto for example will open properly and run to basically display the pictures but it will not display many of the effects that iPhoto can generate because they depend upon open GL.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the suggestion, that's not a bad idea. Do you know if it will work right out of the box? Since I have no video right now it's not going to be a possibility to install drivers and stuff like that...also will it work by itself without another monitor hooked up? let me know, I would definitely be interested in this as a temporary fix

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
after nosing around eBay for a little bit and looking for Mac cards, I found some items that are clearly not Apple Products, but the sellers claim them to work with Mac Pros. Obviously I'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not they're legitimate. Here links to a couple of them. Any thoughts?

Radeon 2600 wannabe:

Mac ATI 2600XT 2600 XT 7300 256 Meg Mac Pro GDDR4 NEW! - eBay (item 230421483106 end time Feb-06-10 13:11:55 PST)

880GT wannabe:

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E FOR MAC PRO 661-4911 - eBay (item 350303199357 end time Jan-12-10 14:01:00 PST)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it will work with no other monitors attached although I don't remember testing that configuration. If I remember correctly it may have needed the drivers. I will see if I can test it with my Mac Pro tomorrow to be sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.