Knoppix download......on mac

M

maverick2k

HI,

I am a novice into the field of unix based systems. Have a few questions. I want to run Knoppix (linux) from a CD drive. I have the files in front of me right(FTP) now but don't know how to burn it. The total file size is about 2 GB but the read me says it can be burned on a standard 700 MB CD.

I don't know how am I supposed to burn an image from my hard disk using a burning software. Can I burn it using the disk utility or the finder and if yes how?

Please help.

Cheerio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Go into Disc Utility, go Image>Burn. Select the ISO Image, and put in a disc. Easy a pi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
You've almost got it MADJ. Maverick, the file you downloaded from linuxisos is called an image file. It's basically a bootable compression. The keyword is compression, as the actual image is only 698(I DL'ed it to check), however if you mount it(double click the image) it will uncompress to its actual files, which are indeed 2GB+. The key is not to mount the image, as MADJ said. Follow my steps, and select the actual compressed .img file.

Funny, you said this and i burned a mandrake 10.1 iso this morning. Funny how much Linux Gurus copy Apple. Even down to the shaking of the login screen with the password incorrect.pff.

OP
E

embries

knoppix live CD is awesome, but even better is this one.

http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

This live distro found every piece of hardware on EVERY system I had. By far the most compatible Linux distro ever. I was doing a comparo for a friend who wanted to try linux. In 1 week I installed. Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 2005, Debian 3.0r5, Ubuntu, SUSE 9.3Pro, and Kanotix. I had a problem with every install other than the kanotix one. It was quite sad, so I was forced to recommend Kanotix to my friend.

OP
M

maverick2k

Thanks guys.... You helped a lot.. I had actually uncompressed it....will work now..
Cheerio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.