• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The right set up for office, home, mobility...

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.

I am starting a new marketing job with a small company. They are offering to purchase whatever set up I need. We have established that an Apple is the best fit for my needs.

I will be in the office most days, but will also work from home somewhat often and at night. With this in mind, I thought the obvious answer was a laptop.

However, at home I currently use an old Powerbook from '03. It has seen its better days. I do A LOT of photography... so it's time for a new home set up. We are thinking a Mac Mini and a new display.

My question is, should I have my new job get me a laptop, desktop, MAC mini??? or???

My thoughts: Have company buy Mac Book Pro, and hopefully they have a display I can plug into for office use. Then for home I can buy a Mac Mini + Display...

I would love any advice, insight, experience, thoughts...???

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Are they giving you a budget, because you could always get both a laptop and a desktop. If you do have a budget, it sounds like a macbook pro with an external monitor will be your best bet. Maybe even get 2 external monitors so you have one at home and the office so you can just bring your macbook pro back and forth.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking. My guess is that they would budget for a Mac Pro + Display. It doesn't look like the cost for a Mac Book is too much more $.

The quad-core Mac Pro is $2499
A cinema display is $899

A 17" Mac Book Pro 2.8GHz is $2499
Plus cinema display is $899

If anyone knows how much I'm losing with the Mac Book Pro vs. the Mac Pro, it would be much appreciated.

Then I can stilll buy a display and Mac Mini for home...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Well I would try to bargain with them. See if they will buy you a mac pro for the office and a mac mini for home. Of course, you could save a little money by choosing a different monitor. You are losing portability by getting the mac pro but you gain expandability and speed. If you haven't heard, apple is expected to release a new line of macbook pros and mac pros so if you can wait, it may be a good idea. Don't forget about the new iMac. You can get the 27" i7 quad core iMac for about $2200 which is a great machine and it has an awesome screen built into it, so you wouldn't have to spend another $900 on a cinema display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
15" Macbook Pro and 2 cinema displays

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.