Need helps on repairing Windows XP system files. (experienced ppl only pls)

Reaction score
1. I have dual booting of xp pro and leopard for a year now.
2. Mac starts properly. But XP would not boot and ask for the windows system files need to be repaired saying the files are corrupt or deleted.
3. Inserting the XP original cd and holding ctrl key shows three options (mac, win and xp cd). On clicking cd, "press any key to boot from the cd" appears but choosing repair option by pressing R, all hopeful installing, loading, blah blah continues only to eject the cd and shows the same old corrupt or deleted files thing again followed by asking the repair or fresh installation.

Pls suggest on how to repair.

Many thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you're correctly doing the repair. Follow the examples given at this website. LINK

A successful repair is going to eliminate all your previous updates and patches which means you'll have to download and install all again. Lots of work. If your repair is not successful, you'll probably have to remove the BC partition and create it again and then reinstall XP.

Regards.

Reaction score
cant you boot off the CD and load windows instead of repairing?

If all fails, access the windows partition from OSX and grab all the data you can. Time to format.

OP
P
Reaction score
chscaq: I understand that links only fir xp not for dual booting case as mine. Nevertheless, I followed the same procedure (even before you replied) but simply failed. I used original xp installer.
PatoriaN: I can boot from the cd. But the only options are Repair, Format and Installation, not starting windows, am I missing something here?

Did any body ever had same prob? There should have as the system files can act **** on auto windows update.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hello, all is not lost; I have performed this procedure successfully in the past, but because I've been on OS X too long I had to look it up - How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - just select 'Skip to Repair Install' EDIT it appears this link will take you straight there
If possible back anything useful up first because although the repair should allow you to keep your files and settings you never know
Also with this method you will have to re-apply all updates and patches

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
hugtheslug:
I followed your link as well and also followed this one "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

Now when I restart I get two options, /fastdetect and Windows XP Professional. In both cases I keep getting the same old msg:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt: /windows/system32/config/system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom. select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I googled but in all the cases, the solution ended in clean installation. But just hoping that is not case for mac-forum user.

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Have you actually booted the XP CD and followed the instructions (I just realised the earlier link from chscag has exactly the same info and also includes screenshots) ie hit Enter to set up Windows XP, F8 to agree the license, then R to repair the selected partition ?
It is these actions that will enable system files to be put back in the right places without the loss of your personal data.

Cheers :)

Hugh

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I googled but in all the cases, the solution ended in clean installation. But just hoping that is not case for mac-forum user.

Thanks all!

Windows is still windows, even on a Mac and even for a mac-forums member.

chscag summed it up pretty well:

A successful repair is going to eliminate all your previous updates and patches which means you'll have to download and install all again. Lots of work. If your repair is not successful, you'll probably have to remove the BC partition and create it again and then reinstall XP.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.